Monument record MYO4298 - Ebor Print Works (Sessions)

Summary

In 1920 a new site for the Ebor Print Works which was originally based in the heart of York on North Street was chosen by William Haughton Sessions, principally due to expanding operations. The first structure to be built in 1920 was a single storey five bay by five bay factory with roof lighting. On the front façade of the building was a studio which was the only structure above ground floor height. The building was expanded throughout the 20th century. In the early years the works were principally focused on letterpress printing, some die stamping, book binding and general bindery, some of which techniques are advertised on the rear of the building as detailed in a photograph taken sometime between 1920 and 1925. Modifications were also made to the plant between 1937 and 1938 which was prompted by the need to control the plant’s temperature and humidity. This involved the installation of an air conditioning system throughout the factory. Further extensions to accommodate the steel engraving, plate-etching and litho plate-preparation departments and to enable the extension of the sales office were constructed at this time. The advent of World War II brought about an uncertain period for the plant but William Sessions and his executive team were quick to diversify with new war time products brought into production including ARP lampshades in folding card board boxes to comply with blackout regulations, production of cardboard and rexine gas-mask cases, strong cartons for food and gift boxes for military personnel. The production of rationing cards also commenced. After 1946 the management of the company changed with William Kaye Sessions taking over the role of managing director, whilst his father became the chairman. Under his direction a new product was brought into manufacture; self adhesive labels. This new line was to become one of the most profitable parts of the company. The plant continued to grow and develop throughout the 20th century until it ceased operation in April 2010 and went into administration.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6108 5486 (71m by 174m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

In 1920 a new site for the Ebor Print Works which was originally based in the heart of York on North Street was chosen by William Haughton Sessions, principally due to expanding operations. The first structure to be built in 1920 was a single storey five bay by five bay factory with roof lighting. On the front façade of the building was a studio which was the only structure above ground floor height. The building was expanded throughout the 20th century.

In the early years the works were principally focused on letterpress printing, some die stamping, book binding and general bindery, some of which techniques are advertised on the rear of the building as detailed in a photograph taken sometime between 1920 and 1925.

Modifications were also made to the plant between 1937 and 1938 which
was prompted by the need to control the plant’s temperature and humidity. This involved the installation of an air conditioning system throughout the factory. Further extensions to accommodate the steel engraving, plate-etching and litho plate-preparation departments and to enable the extension of the sales office were constructed at this time.

The advent of World War II brought about an uncertain period for the plant but William Sessions and his executive team were quick to diversify with new war time products brought into production including ARP lampshades in folding card board boxes to comply with blackout regulations, production of cardboard and rexine gas-mask cases, strong cartons for food and gift boxes for military personnel. The production of rationing cards also commenced.

After 1946 the management of the company changed with William Kaye Sessions taking over the role of managing director, whilst his father became the chairman. Under his direction a new product was brought into manufacture; self adhesive labels. This new line was to become one of the most profitable parts of the company. The plant continued to grow and develop throughout the 20th century until it ceased operation in April 2010 and went into administration.


URS, 2013, Sessions of York Huntington Road York (Unpublished document). SYO1445.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: URS. 2013. Sessions of York Huntington Road York.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 6 2021 11:23AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.