Monument record MYO4307 - Ferry Cottage
|Grid reference||SE 5983 4766 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||Bishopthorpe, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
House with outbuildings to the south is shown by the Ordnance Survey on the first edition map in 1851 and on subsequent editions. Three single storey extensions were added post 1940. It was then heavily damaged by fire in 2009/2010 rendering it uninhabitable. Currently (2017) proposed for conversion/rebuilding.
Local tradition links Ferry Cottage with the former Bishopthorpe Ferry, which crossed the Ouse from the end of Ferry Lane, stating that the cottage was the ferryman's house. There is little available information about the Bishopthorpe ferry and even less to support the idea that the ferryman lived at the cottage. John Keble in his 1905 history of Bishopthorpe states that: 'The ferry was opened at the end of the eighteenth century by the tenant of the Chantry, who obtained leave from the then Mr. Key, of Water Fulford, to land passengers on the other side of the river; thus the right of way across the Ings came to be established'. There is no firm evidence to link the cottage with the ferryman. SYO2022 Heritage Statement
2017, Land at Ferry Cottage (Unpublished document). SYO2022.
- --- SYO2022 Unpublished document: 2017. Land at Ferry Cottage.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2021 12:32PM