Building record MYO442 - CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Summary

(MYO343 and MYO23 are repeat records for this church. This record - MYO442 - is the primary record) Stone-built church, of 14th century date, restored in 1886 by C Hodgson Fowler. Magnesian limestone ashlar with plain tile roof and wooden bell tower. Cruciform on plan with south porch. 3-bay nave with 2-bay chancel and single-bay transepts.

Location

Grid reference SE 5937 4583 (point)
Map sheet SE54NE
Civil Parish Acaster Malbis, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Church. Early C14 with additions and restorations of 1886 by C Hodgson Fowler including bell tower and spire. Magnesian limestone ashlar with plain tile roof and wooden bell tower. Cruciform on plan with south porch. 3-bay nave with 2-bay chancel and single-bay transepts. Chamfered plinth. Nave: south side, central south porch has pointed arch with chamfered architrave under hood-mould with head stops. Pointed arched entrance with double-chamfered architrave and studded plank door. North side has central blocked opening with pointed, double-chamfered architrave. 3-light, straight-headed windows with reticulated tracery. West end has reticulated 5-light window under depressed segmental arch with quatrefoil above. Transepts, have 3-light windows, those to north and south under depressed pointed arches with trefoils above. Chancel has reticulated 3-light windows with 7-light east window under depressed segmental arch and with elongated sexfoil above. Swept roofs. Crosses at apex. Shingled bell turret has similar 2-light openings and octagonal spire. Interior: medieval tub font on stepped, cylindrical base. Remains of wall painting exposed to north side of nave. Brackets for statues to either side of east window. Ogee- headed piscina. Effigy of a cross-legged knight presumed to represent Sir John Malbys (d1316). Medieval grave slab with foliate cross. Painted wooden plaque of 1687 'Fearr God Honour the King' with lion and unicorn. Painted plaque c1764 recording benefactions of John Knowles. Elaborate continental C17 pulpit with intricate geometrical panelling and figures at the angles. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979 pp 69-70.
Listing NGR: SE5937545837

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

Unified Designation System UID 1148450

(SE 59374583) Holy Trinity Church (NAT). (1)

Holy Trinity Church belongs to the early 14th century. (2)

In normal use. (3)

11/8 A Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Stone, cruciform in plan. Late 14th or early 15th century.
Consists of chancel and nave with trancepts. At the crossing is a
small wooden tower with spire. Restored 1886. Interior: Ancient
glass in the three chancel windows. Three piscinas. Two "low
side" windows. Two altar tombs, one bearing the effigy of a
knight in chain armour; the other bears a cross fleury in relief.
Tomb slab with incised cross fleury. 14th century font. (4)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" map, 1958

2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Buildings of West Riding, Yorkshire, 1959, p 69-70 (N Pevsner)

3 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Field Investigator, RWE, 15-MAY-1963

4 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest DOE(HHR), Tadcaster Rural District, Yorkshire West Riding, May 1960, p 2

Related event: (UID 1050679) ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY BY SYDNEY DECIMUS KITSON. Lincoln District National Recording Project. Undated.

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 31 2019 12:53PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.