Monument record MYO4430 - GRIMSTON VILLAGE

Summary

Possible shrunken medieval village with alleged moated site and church. Heavy ploughing around the present village has obliterated any earthwork evidence.

Location

Grid reference SE 6518 5139 (point)
Map sheet SE65SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish Dunnington, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

NMR Information:

(SE 653514) The shrunken Medieval village of Grimston
consisted of 10 houses and 8 cottages standing in north, south
and east rows in 1606 Penn suggested that the north row was
represented by the present drive to Manor Farm bungalow, which
appears to have led to a moated site, visible on aerial photos
(lent by DOE N E Roads Constrn Unit- no date). The east row was
probably represented by the cluster of buildings along Elvington
Lane; originally wider as confirmed by the bank on the west side.
Crop marks suggested the remains of buildings near this
lane's junction with the track to Clock Farm. In several places
house platforms were easily located and the area of Medieval
settlement was clearly defined by the rig and furrow which surrounds
the village. There is no certain reference to a chapel at
Grimston but Chapel garth is mentioned 1606. Penn however stated
that B Gowthorpe of Church Lane Farm recalled an old man, now
deceased, who claimed to have attended service at the turn of the
century in a church whose alleged site was 20-30 yds south of
Church Lane (Priests Lane) and near the bend, some 150 yds from
Elvington Lane (SE 665501). No trace found during ploughing,
and not marked on any map (verified by OS 6" 1854). (1)

No definite traces of house platforms or moated site on RAF air
photographs, but the area of shrinkage can be defined in places
by the margin rig and furrow. Nothing visible at alleged church
site.(2)

Perambulation of the area (delineated on the 1:10 000 Record Sheet)
around Manor and Hill Farms revealed only remains of rig and
furrow. No trace of any "moated site" was seen near Manor Farm
Bungalow (SE 65215142), the immediate area of which has been
cultivated for modern garden and lawns. There is now no trace of
the 'pond' (shown on RAF air photographs) at SE 65155141 and this
has presumably been infilled. Much of the area has been ploughed
and there is no trace of any dwellings or steadings.

The site of the alleged church at SE 665501 is an area of flat
ploughed field and no trace of any building was seen.

No survey action. (3)

No traces of village earthworks observed on aerial photographs of this area. (4)

Oblique aerial photographs show remnants of earthworks on the north side of Manor Bungalow which includes a ditched enclosure or platform in the north-east corner of the field (at SE 652515). To the south of the bungalow and to the east of Hill Farm there are well preserved remnants of ridge and furrow cultivation of medieval date. (5)

1 A history of the county of York, East Riding. Volume 3 6-8, 10 JD Purdy edited by K.J. Allison
2 Interim : bulletin of the York Archaeological Trust 24, 30-1 1, (4) Jan 1974 Ed SAJ Bradley per KJ Penn
3 Vertical aerial photograph reference number RAF 540/572 4104-6 30-JUL-1951
4 Field Investigators Comments F1 ISS 29-MAR-79
5 Oblique aerial photograph reference number NMR SE 6551/4 (12618/24) 06-JAN-95

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jul 17 2019 5:18PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.