Monument record MYO4473 - First World War Practice Trench System
|Grid reference||SE 6210 4990 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Heslington, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
(SE 621 499) First World War practice trench.
A First World War practice trench system, now poorly preserved as earthworks, on the practice green of Fulford Golf Course, immediately south-west of the Clubhouse. In 2004, a local resident recalled that the trenches were left open until at least about 1920, but they must have been almost completely levelled subsequently. The system comprises a line of about 10 bays of a cremaillere fighting trench aligned south-west to north-east parallel to Heslington Lane, possibly interconnecting via several zig-zagging trenches with a stretch of communication trench of equal length to the rear (although this is less distinct as an earthwork). The practice trench was probably constructed by soldiers from what was later renamed the Imphal Barracks, on Fulford Road (SE 65 SW 520). (1)
1 Field Investigators Comments Field observation while walking dog one fine morning.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2019 10:15AM