Building record MYO449 - CHURCH OF SAINT HELEN
|Grid reference||SE 6827 4498 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Wheldrake, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Church. C14 west tower with nave and 5-sided apse of 1779. 'This CHURCH was / rebuilt, & its TOWER Repair'd / in the Years 1778 & 1779. / Wm WALKER & THOS. PETCH / Church-Wardens.' on wooden plaque in tower. By John Simpson, Curate. Magnesian limestone ashlar tower with pinkish-brown brick nave with red brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage west tower. South entrance, continuous 5-bay nave and chancel, north vestry polygonal apse. Tower: west side, short diagonal buttresses with off-sets and niche for statue of Blessed Virgin Mary to right. Pointed entrance with plank door under hoodmould in double-chamfered surround. 3-light window with intersecting-tracery and quatrefoils to head. lst-stage band. Twin- light bell-openings to each side with cinquefoil heads. Battlements with pinnacles. Vestry to north side. Nave and chancel: plinth. South entrance to first bay, double plank doors with ormamental ironwork hinges under red gauged brick round arch with ashlar imposts and keystone. Above, an oculus in red gauged brick surround and with keystone. Otherwise tall, round arched windows with red gauged brick dressings and ashlar keystone, sills and impost band. Moulded ashlar eaves band. Ashlar coping. Apse: similar windows to 3 sides. Continuous impost and eaves band. Separately roofed. Interior has moulded cornice, and plaster cove to flat ceiling. Panelled dado. Double-chamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 fittings. Octagonal font c.1300. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.369. Church Papers.
Listing NGR: SE6831745007
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Bells: 6 bells. Bells 1-3 date to 1920 and were founded by John Taylor & Co. They play notes G#, F# and E respectively. Bell 4 dates to 1988 founded by John Taylor & Co. Note D#.
The oldest bells are 6 and the 'old 4th' these date to 1677 and 1640 respectively. Bell 6 was founded by Samuel I Smith and plays note B, the 'old 4th' plays note D and was founded by Abraham Smith. CARE No. 43/099
NMR Information: no further description provided.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 15 2021 5:25PM