Monument record MYO4568 - QUEENS STAITH
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6021 5155 (41m by 70m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
In Skeldergate the riverside was lined with warehouses which stored produce for export, before it was loaded onto boats at Queen's Staith (constructed 1660).
CYC Character Area 19
The Queen's Staith forms the W. bank of the Ouse to S. of Ouse Bridge. It was built in 1660 by Christopher Topham, Lord Mayor of York, was repaired in 1676 and enlarged in 1678 (Drake, 282); it was rebuilt early in the 19th century. The revetting wall is of yellowish limestone ashlar and the pavement is of cobbles.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. pp48-68 (Monument 27)
Mentions of the smaller Queen's Staith are confined to the early part of the century (18th) but it was later used as the butter staith
'The eighteenth century: Economy and poor relief', in A History of the County of York: the City of York, ed. P M Tillott (London, 1961), pp. 215-229
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 24 2020 3:18PM