Building record MYO459 - Heslington Hall
|Grid reference||SE 6264 5037 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Heslington, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Country house now part of York University. 1565-1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns with rebuilding of 1852-4 and later additions and alterations. C19 rebuilding by P.C. Hardwick for Yarburgh Yarburgh. c.1903 interior by W. Brierley. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings and some Magnesian limestone ashlar blocks of core exposed to rear, plain tile roof. Centre of 2 storeys with basement and attics, 9 bays and wings of single-bay, 2 storeys with basement and attics, then 2 storeys with 6 first floor windows. Centre: flight of steps to central entrance in porch which is a reproduction of original (q.v.), with round keyed arch on pilasters between pairs of fluted Corinthian columns supporting frieze and triangular pediment with finials to sides and centre. C20 glazed double doors in 4- centred arch with moulded surround. Mainly 2 and 3-light cavetto-moulded mullion and mullion and transom windows in ashlar surrounds except to 2nd and 8th bays which are canted to 1st floor and have 5-light, 2-storey mullion windows with 4 levels of transoms. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet with three gables, the centre of which is ornamented by coat of arms. Ashlar kneelers, coping and finials. Wings: plinth. End and off- centre entrances in 4-centred surrounds. 2-light mullion and 2 and 3-light mullion and transom windows throughout in ashlar surrounds. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet. Central gables contain clock and sundial. Ashlar coping and ball finials to gables and gable ends. Mainly clusters of star-shaped stacks. Cast-iron rainwater heads and fall-pipes. Interior: C16 pendant boss ceiling to hall of 2 storeys in height. Several rooms have panelling with strapwork decoration and moulded plaster ceilings by W. Brierley. Inscription to gable to Heslington Lane side (ie south wing rear). - (not visible) - (not visible) ONE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH'S COUNCIL FOR THE NORTHERN PART OF ENGLAND AND SECRETARY AND KEEPER OF HER MAJESTY'S SEAL FOR THE SAID COUNCIL A.D. 1578 IT WAS RESTORED ALTERED AND ENLARGED BY YARBURGH YARBURGH ESQUIRE A.D. 1854
J. P. Neale engraving of 1829 shows that the Victorian restoration was faithful to the original. Eynns was Secretary of the King's Council in The Northern Parts. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p. 251. Hey, D., Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1981, pp.22-4.
Listing NGR: SE6264850376
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
[SE 6264 5038] HESLINGTON HALL [G.T.]
Heslington Hall, an Elizabethan house, was built between
1565 and 1568 by Tomas Eymis. The building has a fine,
consistent, and unspoiled exterior.
Heslington Hall is now owned by the University of York. All
the external structure is 19th. century and no evidence of
an earlier structure other than reused stone window dressings
on the central front can be seen. An inscription on the southern
wing states that the building was restored, altered and enlarged
by Yarburgh, Esq., A.D.1854. Workmen employed on internal
alterations stated that the fabric of the original hall can
be traced inside the structure of the present central range.
GP.AO:62:91:8. shows the eastern aspect.
1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6", N.S.L.
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION County Life, July 1913, p. 90-97, plates and plan.
3 Field Investigators Comments F1 RL 12-APR-62
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 20 2020 10:25AM