Monument record MYO4777 - The Sugar House
|Grid reference||SE 6037 5139 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
In the 1730’s the ‘New Walk’ was created from this point along the riverbank towards Fulford, so that the upper classes could promenade and show off their finery away from the dirty narrow streets of the city. One hazard, or perhaps delight, of this was that men used to swim nude in the river. So the city council decreed that ‘men exposing themselves naked in the water be prosecuted for a nuisance’!
To service the needs of high-class citizens using the New Walk Davy Tower was converted into a public toilet. This was known as the ‘Sugar house’, which shows that ‘sugar’ is a very old euphemism for shit!
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2020 12:50PM