Monument record MYO4841 - St Catherine's Hospital

Summary

Site of an almshouse, built in 1652, on the site of a Medieval lazar house and demolished in 1833. In 1333 protection was granted to leprous men collecting alms. The hospital was built for male and female lepers, and was used by the poor in the 16th century, after which it became an almshouse.

Location

Grid reference SE 5944 5113 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

The older building is prominent in all the earlier prospects of York from The Mount (Plate 2) and had itself been built in 1652 on the site of a mediaeval foundation variously described as a lazar-house and a xenodochium or place of hospitality for poor travellers (Drake, 246; Hargrove, ii, 508–10; Davies, 105). The close of land in which the old almshouse stood was acquired by Leonard and John (afterwards Sir John) Simpson, who in 1833 petitioned the Corporation to be allowed to transfer the hospital to a new site on Holgate Lane, now Holgate Road, at the rear of the property, in order that they might develop the valuable frontage.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. Monument 25.

The hospital of St. Katherine outside Micklegate Bar. This was one of the four leper houses of York, and stood outside Micklegate Bar, near the church or chapel of St. James. In 1333 protection for two years was granted by Edward III for the leprous men of the hospital collecting alms. It housed lepers of both sexes, and as one of the charities of the city escaped suppression. In 1603, in an account of the progress of James I through York, it is recorded that the king 'took horse and passed through the cittie forth at Micklegate towards Grimstone, the house of Sir Edward Stanhope, the earle of Cumberlande and the lord-major beareing the sword and the mace before the king untill they came unto the house of St. Kathren.' In 1652 the hospital was rebuilt on the old site. This building was removed in 1835.

'Hospitals: York', in A History of the County of York: Volume 3, ed. William Page (London, 1974), pp. 336-352.


NMR Information

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060263 ST CATHERINE'S HOSPITAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Victoria County History ed. William Page, 1974, A History of the County of York Volume 3 (Bibliographic reference). SYO2397.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History ed. William Page. 1974. A History of the County of York Volume 3. 3.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 28 2020 4:44PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.