Monument record MYO4884 - Layerthorpe Station
|Grid reference||SE 6120 5208 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Opened on 19 July 1913, it served as the northern terminus of the Derwent Valley Light Railway, where the line connected to the existing Foss Islands Branch Line and thence to the North Eastern Railway's York to Scarborough Line.
Traffic through the station was predominantly agricultural freight and local industries along the route of the DVLR, although passenger services did run on the line from 1913 to 1926. After closure to passengers, excursions were occasionally operated—often these were for Bramble picking on Skipwith Common—hence the line is sometimes known as the "Blackberry Line".
A summer-only steam passenger service was operated from 1977 to 1979. The DVLR closed on 27 September 1981. A single siding at the station serving an oil depot remained in use until 1987. The siding was lifted along with the Foss Island branch when traffic from Rowntrees chocolate factory, at the other end of the branch, switched to road transport in 1988.
BF006744 LAYERTHORPE STATION, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2020 1:30PM