Monument record MYO4923 - Hospital Of St Mary In The Horsefair
|Grid reference||SE 6021 5261 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
It was originally founded as a chantry by the Dean of York, and licensed as a chapel in 1315. In 1318 it was enlarged into a hospital for a master, two assistant chaplains, and beds for six aged and infirm chaplains. At the time of its Dissolution in 1557 it was described as ruinous, although apparently 20 years earlier it had been in a fit state. Excavations in 1972 recovered the plan of two of the hospital buildings, built on the friary chapel, and probably representing the infirmary and adjacent chapel. Outbuildings for almspeople were also discovered to the West of the infirmary. There was a major reorganisation of the complex in the mid 15th and early 16th centuries.
THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY BOOTHAM, YORK
This hospital was founded by Robert de Pikeryng, Dean of York. The original intention was to found a chantry in a chapel of St. Mary, which Pikeryng intended to build for divine worship at Bootham, by York, where the Carmelite prior and friars formerly dwelt, and for that purpose he obtained licence from Edward II, dated 28 January 1315, to endow the chantry.
The chantry was enlarged in 1318 into a hospital for six aged and infirm chaplains, and Robert de Pikeryng further endowed it with the church of Stillingfleet a vicarage being ordained in the church in 1330.The dues from the hospital to the vicar of Stillingfieet were complained of as too burdensome by John Ashfordby, the master, and Archbishop Kemp issued a commission to inquire into the matter. In 1452 there was an inquiry as to the patronage of the hospital. The jurors stated that Richard Egglesfeld, esquire, and Elizabeth his wife had presented Marmaduke Constable, clerk, on 24 July 1452, to the office of custos, vacant by the death of John Ashfordby the last custos, on the 12th of that month; that William Eure, kt., had presented Ashfordby by the right and title of Isabella, the eldest daughter of Robert le Bruse, the patron while he lived; and that Richard Egglesfeld and Elizabeth his wife, the second daughter of Robert le Bruse, were then the true patrons. Marmaduke Constable was therefore instituted on 27 July.
For some reason William Eure, kt., in September 1483 granted the advowson of the hospital of the Blessed Mary 'in le Horsfair,' of which he was patron, to Queen Anne, consort of Richard III, who presented Dom. William Cerffe, monk of Meaux, to the mastership, vacant by the death of William Eure. On 22 February 1486 Sir William Eure exercised his patronage by appointing Robert Bothe, LL.D., to the mastership, vacant by the cession of Brother William Cerffe, to whom a yearly pension of 20 marks was assigned. The hospital apparently formed a shelter for blind priests, among others.
On 4 January 1535 W. Frankelyn, priest, wrote to Cromwell that an endeavour had been made to discover the titles of the hospital of our Lady in Bootham, called the Horsefair, in vain. The archbishops' registers had then been searched, and the names of Brus, Nevill, Pykering, Eure, Marshall, and Egglesfeld were found among those who had presented as founders, but by what title could not be said. In 1556 it was reported of 'thospitall of our Ladie in Bowthome called Horse Faire' that 'the same standith as yet not dissolved, and John Golding, clerk, is master of the same, and the goods therof was not taiken awaie then as Sir Thomas Leder and Sir Water (sic) Langcaster, being brethren of the same hospitall, haith declared unto us, lijs. jd.'
Richard de Grymston, occurs 1318
Hugh called Walgh de Pykering, priest, appointed 13 August 1330, resigned
Richard de Killum, succeeded 25 July 1331
John Pulhore, resigned 1338
Walter de Harpham, succeeded 1338, exchanged 1347
John de Ellerker, 1347
Robert Worschipp, succeeded 17 June 1349
Robert de Boxeby, 31 March 1360, died
William de Donyngton, (fn. 132) succeeded 5 August 1369, resigned
Walter Coupland, succeeded 27 September 1412,resigned
Thomas Petlyng, succeeded 11 November 1413, exchanged 1416
William Crosse, canon of Lincoln, 1 April 1416, resigned
Robert Frend, sub-deacon, succeeded 15 May 1421, resigned
Marmaduke Lumley, LL.B., prebendary of Osmotherley, succeeded 12 December 1424, became Bishop of Carlisle 1430
Robert Gamyll, priest, succeeded 8 August 1430
John Ashfordby, died 1452
Marmaduke Constable, succeeded 27 July 1452, died
William Eure, succeeded 1453
William Cerffe, monk of Meaux, succeeded 18 September 1483, resigned
Robert Bothe, LL.D., succeeded 22 February 1486-7, died
William Sheffield, Dec. D., succeeded 6 August 1488
Simon Senous, succeeded 2 January 1496-7, resigned
Martin Colyns, Dec. D., succeeded 2 October 1500, died
John Withers, A.M., succeeded 5 May 1509, died
Thomas Marcer, succeeded 20 August 1536
John Golding, occurs 1556
'Hospitals: York', in A History of the County of York: Volume 3, ed. William Page (London, 1974), pp. 336-352.
Victoria County History ed. William Page, 1974, A History of the County of York Volume 3 (Bibliographic reference). SYO2397.
York Archaeological Trust, 2016, Untitled Source (Unpublished document). SYO2692.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2021 3:07PM