Building record MYO4933 - 88-90 Gillygate
|Grid reference||SE 6025 5249 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Nos. 88, 90, was built c. 1735. John Carr, yeoman, purchased the property in 1733 and his will dated 1738 refers to his 'newly erected dwelling house'. The house was drastically remodelled c. 1795. A kitchen was added at the back in 1829 and further alterations took place in the second quarter of the 19th century when part was converted to a shop and the entrance was refitted to match the new shop front.
The house has two storeys, cellars and attics and the original plan comprised a single room on each side of the entrance hall which contained the staircase. The staircase is of the late 18th century with close string, turned balusters and square newels. Demolished 1958.
'Houses: De Grey Street-Heslington Road', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (London, 1975), pp. 69-76. Monument 140
BF060604 88-90 GILLYGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2020 3:02PM