Monument record MYO4978 - 36 Aldwark
|Grid reference||SE 6063 5205 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Former Tannery, No. 36, built for Messrs. Agar and Chadwick Ltd. to a design by Thomas Pickersgill, was begun in 1829 (YG, 29 Aug. 1829). It is of three storeys in brick, and originally had a two-storeyed timber superstructure, with louvred side walls, for the curing of skins. All openings have segmental arches of cut stock bricks. The building has flagstone floors throughout, those to the upper storeys being carried on heavy pine joists with supporting octagonal oak posts.
Monument 69; 'Houses: Aldwark-Castlegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central (London, 1981), pp. 105-115.
Name: Wigfalls Electrical Workshop
Alternate Name (Former): The Tannery
BF060356 WIGFALL'S ELECTRICAL WORKSHOP, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2020 11:20AM