Monument record MYO4998 - Leethams Mill, Hungate
|Grid reference||SE 6077 5177 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Unclear how the NRM records for Leetham Mill relate to the actual evidence for the mill buildings as identified through the research and excavations carried out by York Archaeological Trust (SYO1154).
The northern half of the F1 trench located the site of a flour mill built in 1851 and bought by the Leetham family between 1854 and 1861. The heavily re-worked remains of the original mill building and its intemal features were identified. Evidence for a major re-building of the original mill was found, comprising a new engine house associated with a documented conversion from stone-milling to roller-milling in the 1880s that created a vast new mill complex traceable in contemporary mapping. This phase places Leetham's Mill at the heart of a revolution in flour milling that occurred during the last quarter of the 19th century. A series of later revisions was identified in the rebuilt original mill building and provisionally associated with documented eariy 20th century developments in the main mill complex. The flour mill and the sawmill areas identified in the F1 trench were demolished after 1930. After the Second Worid War, little activity was identified untill the building of the 1960s Derwent Coachworks.
Site of a 2-storeyed flour mill built in circa 1790 and badly damaged by fire in 1931, after which it was rebuilt as an office block and warehouse.
National Record of Industrial Monuments. Two sets of index cards in the NMR Archive, arranged by county and by industry.
1511398 Desk Based Assessment National Record of Industrial Monuments
NRI01 National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM): Index Cards This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.The collection consists of topographically arranged index cards and copies relating to individual monuments and county lists of monuments associated with the National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM) between 1963 and 1980. The NRIM was set up by the Council for British Archaeology (CBA) in 1963 and administration was taken over by the University of Bath in 1965. Record cards for individual buildings were completed by interested parties and submitted. Sets of cards were maintained by the CBA, University of Bath (latterly the Industrial Monuments Survey) and the National Monuments Record.In 2012 the collection was updated by Heritage Data and where appropriate monuments were allocated a county designation number.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2020 10:00AM