Building record MYO5001 - 2 King's Court
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6043 5193 (1m by 0m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
House, No. 2, of three storeys and cellars, substantial and double-fronted, with a separate outbuilding behind, was built by Thomas Weatherill, who was granted a 99-year lease in 1775. By 1812 it was the Star and Garter Inn and later the Old Turk's Head. In the 19th century the house was extended at the back and joined to the outbuilding, which was turned into a bar. The front had a central doorway with semicircular fanlight, flanked by engaged timber columns carrying an open pediment. An additional doorway had been added at the N. end. The windows were graduated in size, and the sills of the first-floor windows were joined to form a continuous band.
The entrance was originally straight into the larger of two front rooms; the staircase, with original turned balusters, arose behind the smaller room. Some of the fireplaces retained original iron grates and timber surrounds. Demolished.
Monument 241; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
BF060719 2 KING'S COURT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2020 12:03PM