Monument record MYO5004 - 15-16 Colliergate


Demolished in June 1959. Two houses which were a 19th century sub-division of an earlier building. This structure was a timber-framed building which was remodelled c.1700 and the depth of the house doubled in the mid-18th century. These buildings were also shops before they were demolished.


Grid reference SE 6049 5185 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Houses, Nos. 15, 16, were a pair formed from a single building. The original house, of uncertain date, was timber-framed and lay back some 14 ft. behind the present building line with its length parallel to the street. It was remodelled in the early 18th century with new brick front and back walls, a new roof and a new staircase. In the mid 18th century the house was extended forward to the present building line. In the second quarter of the 19th century it was divided into two tenements and drastically remodelled, parts of the early 18th-century staircase being reused in the N. tenement. Later in the 19th century shop fronts were inserted, returning on the S. side.

The front elevation, of three storeys and four bays wide, was of common brick with red brick dressings, a plat-band at first floor and gauged brick arches over the windows. The back elevation was lower, the back range having only two storeys and semi-attics. The roof of the back range had principal rafters angled like crucks to carry the wall-plates 2½ ft. above the tie-beams; above the purlins they were joined by collars and then reduced in size to match the common rafters (Fig. 7x). There was no ridge-piece. In addition to the reused parts of the early 18th-century staircase, the fittings included a bolection-moulded fireplace surround in the back wing and early 19th-century cast-iron hob-grates. Demolished 1959 and replaced with modern building.

Monument 115; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.

NMR Information

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060483 15-16 COLLIERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 11 2022 3:12PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.