Monument record MYO5011 - Hospital Of The Holy Trinity

Summary

Also known as the Hospital of Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, at Fossgate. Founded by John de Roucliff before 1373 for the sick and poor. It was reconstructed in 1411.

Location

Grid reference SE 6055 5168 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Trinity Hospital, Fossgate, York.—This hospital, situated in the parish of St. Crux, was founded by John de Roucliff in virtue of Letters Patent dated 12 February, 45 Edward III. The formal ordination of the hospital by Archbishop Thoresby is dated 27 August 1373. There was to be a chaplain, who was to be called master or custos, and to whom was to be committed the charge of the hospital, its inmates, and its goods. There were to be thirteen poor infirm persons, and two poor clerks keeping their schools in the hospital, at the choice of the master. The hospital was founded in honour of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, but afterwards became known as the hospital of the Holy Trinity. The hospital not having been adequately endowed by its founder, the Merchants' Company of York took it under their charge and financed it, and as a charity under their care it still exists at the present day.

In 1411, the old chapel having fallen into ruin, possibly injured through flooding of the river, a new one with a new altar was erected, and Archbishop Bowett licensed the master, brothers, and sisters of the hospital of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary (then comprising besides the master two chaplains, two clerks, and thirty sick poor) to have mass celebrated therein. It is clear from this that the foundation must have been largely increased before 1422-3, when Drake states that it came into the hands of the Merchant Adventurers of York.

A History of the County of York: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1974.

NMR Information

Union Terrace : excavations in the Horsefair Microfiche in pocket inside back cover 1989 by J D Richards, C Heighway and S Donaghey 18-Sep vol.11, fasc.1
Medieval religious houses in England and Wales 1971 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock 408


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Victoria County History ed. William Page, 1974, A History of the County of York Volume 3 (Bibliographic reference). SYO2397.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History ed. William Page. 1974. A History of the County of York Volume 3. 3.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 17 2020 3:31PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.