Monument record MYO5016 - Independent chapel, Grape Lane
|Grid reference||SE 6031 5202 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Built 1781, Late C18 - 1781 AD to 1781 AD)
- METHODIST NEW CONNEXION CHAPEL (Changed worship 1798, Late C18 - 1798 AD to 1798 AD)
- PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHAPEL (Changed worship, Early C19 - 1806 AD to 1806 AD)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Changed worship, Early C19 - 1820 AD to 1820 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Closed by 1963, C20 - 1963 AD to 1963 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Mid C19 - 1851 AD to 1851 AD)
(28) Grape Lane Chapel occupied a site between Grape Lane and Coffee Yard now (1975) a private car park. It was built in 1781 by Paul Batty, a wealthy York citizen, for an independent congregation which had withdrawn from the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. Later, it was successively occupied by the Methodist New Connexion, by Calvinistic Baptists, and finally by the Primitive Methodists from 1820 until 1851 when they moved to Ebenezer Chapel (26). It became a warehouse, but was roofless and derelict in 1963 and subsequently demolished. It was built of red brick to an irregular polygonal plan, and had a gallery supported on iron columns which was inserted in 1800. There was accommodation for over 600 persons.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
An inventory of nonconformist chapels and meeting-houses in the north of England 1994 by Christopher Stell p187
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2020 1:49PM