Monument record MYO5062 - St Georges Church
|Grid reference||SE 6073 5135 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
[SE 6074 5136] ST. GEORGE'S CHURCH [G.T.] (site of)
St. George's Church, first mentioned in 1291, was united with
St. Denys's in 1586. The shell was still standing in 1736.
There are no visible remains of this church.
1 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION OS 1:1250 1962.
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION VCH York City, 1961, pp. 380-1 (Tillott).
3 Field Investigators Comments F1 RWE 30-MAY-63
There are relatively few documentary references to the church, although a tower is recorded as being constructed in 1435. The parish was closely linked to the village of Naburn and the inhabitants of the village were buried at St. Georges. The church was a poor one and the benefice was united with St Denys in 1586, although the church itself continued in use into the 17th century. It was damaged during the Siege of York in 1644 and was never repaired. An illustration by Francis Place dating to c. 1675 showed the church building in ruin, with the roof timbers clearly visible. The spire of St Denys church is visible in the background. The ruins of the church walls were finally removed in the early 19th century. The churchyard continued to be used as a place of burial long after the church became ruinous. Burials were still being undertaken in the 19th century. In 1736 the famous highwayman, Dick Turpin (also known as John Palmer) was buried here and his gravestone is listed. The churchyard was converted to a public park in 1924 and it remains as such today. The church was located within this churchyard and is clearly visible on historic maps up until the later 18th century. The map and sketch illustrations suggest a relatively simple structure comprising nave and chancel, together with a tower at the west end (OSA 2021).
On Site Archaeology, 2021, Former Tramways WMC Mill St DBA and EVA, p14 (Unpublished document). SYO2635.
- --- SYO2635 Unpublished document: On Site Archaeology. 2021. Former Tramways WMC Mill St DBA and EVA. p14.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 1:35PM