Building record MYO508 - CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES

Summary

No summary available.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6488 5259 (15m by 10m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish Murton, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Church. c1200, restored in 1914. Hammer-dressed limestone, plain tile roof. Nave and chancel in one, of 3 bays. West end partially obscured by C20 lean-to hut above which is a small segmental-arched single-light window, with small round-arched window to gable end. Bellcote. To north: C20 2- light Y-traceried window with round head. To south: 2 round-headed windows both with brick arches. East end: C20 3-light window beneath elliptical arch. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: The North Riding, 1966.
Listing NGR: SE6488252597

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

"The ruined chapel of St. James stands in a field to the west of the hamlet and is a simple rectangular structure without division or buttresses and measuring internally 41 ft. by 16½ ft. The east and north walls are much ruined, but the south and west are still standing almost to their full height. In the south wall are two window openings, repaired in brick, and a south door probably of 13thcentury date. In the west wall is a small single-light window, perhaps of the same period. It is now in course of restoration. ... The chapel of St. James at Murton was formerly in the patronage of the prebendary of Strensall. In 1511 Dr. Carrifer, then prebendary, granted a toft and half an oxgang of land in Murton to William Davy and Richard Beverley to be used for the benefit of this chapel. (fn. 28) They repaired the chapel from time to time, and in 1601 sums of 6s. 8d. and 5s. were set apart from this land for the curate, who was to read divine service every second Sunday between Allhallowmas and Candlemas, 4d. being deducted for each Sunday on which he should neglect to do so. (fn. 29) The land having been lost by inclosure, a further arrangement was made by the Commissioners of Charitable Uses in 1674, by which the money was to be raised from the two fields belonging to the manor of Strensall, known as Far Watterland Field and Little Watterland Field. (fn. 30) By 1815 the chapel had fallen into a state of great dilapidation and became unfit for service, no repairs having been done for nearly thirty years. The vicar, churchwardens and parishioners petitioned the Lord Chancellor, and some repairs were done. Services were held again in 1818. (fn. 31) After this the chapel was once more allowed to fall into ruins, and it has not been used since 1836."
derived from https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64635&strquery=Murton

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2017 3:30PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.