Building record MYO5080 - 4-24 Spurriergate

Summary

A group of 10 houses and shops built in 1841-2. The buildings were altered in the 20th century and were in use as shops. Formerly listed as a group the buildings are now listed as 4 Spurriergate; 6 Spurriergate; 8 and 10 Spurriergate; 12,14 and 16 Spurriergate; and 18-24 Spurriergate.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6027 5172 (35m by 37m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

(451) Terrace, Nos. 4–24 (even), consists of eleven four-storey houses with shops on the ground floor. The frontages on this side of the street were originally set further forward, and an Act for widening the street was obtained in June 1840. Agreement for rebuilding was reached with the owners early in 1841 (YCA, B2) and on 9 August the same year it was reported to the Council that the improvement had been completed. It does not seem possible that the new houses could have been built so quickly but presumably the old buildings had been demolished and the new street line established. The houses were probably all designed the same year and built soon afterwards.

No. 4 has a narrow frontage, one bay wide, a central transverse staircase, and is distinctly lower in height than the other houses. No. 6, also of one-bay width, was designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson. The architects' drawings, dated March 1841 (Messrs. Brierley, Leckenby, Keighley and Groom) show that it was designed as a public house for Robert Brogden Esq. of Tockwith, though it is not identified as such on the 1852 OS map. Nos. 8–10 have a three-bay elevation, with a large moulded band just below the third-floor windows. The other houses have very plain fronts, with windows at uniform levels; they are of painted brick except for No. 20 which is rendered. Nos. 22, 24 are bounded at the rear by St. Michael's churchyard and have a much more restricted site, little more than one room deep. They occupy ground that was also originally part of the churchyard until built over in 1337 with houses to provide rents for the endowment of a chantry at the altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061159 4-20 SPURRIERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (5)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 4 2020 4:11PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.