Building record MYO57 - Church

Summary

Duplicate of 449?? The main part of the church was built in 1778-9; only the tower is medieval and nothing remains of the Church of Conquest days. The 14th century tower represented by the smaller stones, was rebuilt in the 15th century, much larger blocks were used; the tower doorway and windows have later medieval flattened arches. Some show masons’ marks; they have not been linked with marks elsewhere. Village tradition is that the former Church was burned down and become ruinous. The main part of the extant Church is a large Georgian room with an apse at the eastern end. When first built, the windows were multi-paned and wooden framed – the vestry window, visible outside in the NW corner, shows this style. Box pews, some of them private to the more prosperous village families, ranged down N and S walls, with a double row down the middle; there was a gallery over the tower end. The pulpit was between the middle windows of the N wall. The medieval (?1300) font was replaced by one of a slender Georgian style, which is now in the garden of the nursing home next door. For two hundred years the medieval font was a pump trough for a cottage in Main Street. It has now been returned to the Church. Many medieval stones are to be seen in gardens and on village roadsides. One stone is built into the SE corner of the Churchyard wall. In 1854 an organ was in use and in 1874, when the Church was improved to Victorian Gothick taste of the time, another organ was bought by public subscription. The Georgian font was removed and was replaced by the present one, the windows were reglazed with leaded lights in green glass, the gallery removed and the box pews replaced by the present seats. Some further additions about 1910 include the pulpit and altar furnishings, which are made by “Mousie” Thompson of Kilburn. The 1874 windows were replaced in 1973-76, again by public subscription, with clear glass, more akin to the spirit of the old building, and the interior painted in creams to make it warm and bright.

Location

Grid reference SE 6827 4498 (point)
Map sheet SE64SE
Civil Parish Wheldrake, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Includes a war memorial in the form of three bells. Inscription:

THREE BELLS WERE HUNG/ DEC. 1920/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE/ FOLLOWING MEN/ WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR/1914 - 1919/ (NAMES)

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 15 2021 5:25PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.