Building record MYO589 - BANQUETING HOUSE

Summary

The Banqueting House was built in 1823-24 for the trustees of the Ouse Navigation Committee of York Corporation. The building is of one storey and is built of gault brick with a ripped slate roof.

Location

Grid reference SE 5945 4454 (point)
Map sheet SE54SE
Civil Parish Naburn, City of York, North Yorkshire
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Banqueting house. 1823-4 with later additions and alterations. Built for the Ouse Navigation. Gault brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Greek Revival. Oblong on plan. Single storey, 3 bays. Plinth. Steps to central entrance a pair of late C20 glazed doors with overlight in tooled architrave within portico with angle pilasters, frieze with massive modillions supporting cornice. Semi-circular dome above. Long, 12-pane casement sash windows with tooled architraves. Moulded cornice. Frieze. Overhanging hipped roof. Rear stacks. Right facade 6 similar window openings but the end one now with C20 glazed door. Interior re-modelled. Disused at time of resurvey. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire York and The East Riding, 1978, p.314.
Listing NGR: SE5945544542

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

Unified Designation System UID 1167224

(SE 59414451) Naburn Lock (NAT)
(SE 59454454) Banqueting House (NAT) (1)

SE 594446. Naburn Lock is the last lock on the River Ouse before
York and the navigation commissioners developed the site as their
headquarters, building a monumental banqueting hall in 1823 to
accommodate their diners. Recommended list Banqueting Hall Gd II (2)

9/90 II The Banqueting House
Built 1823-24, but looks later. Heavy details. One storey, gault
brick; building on large scale. Front with giant stone doorcase
flanked by piers. Heavy block frieze. Cornice, overhanging eaves.
Two 2 fielded panelled doors. Steps up. Sashes with architraves.
Hipped slates. Side, main, front of building with six large sash
windows architrave surrounds. Ripped slates. Characteristic
interior. Plain. The Banqueting Room is 61 feet x 18 feet.

History. Built by Trustees appointed by the Ouse Navigation
Committee of York Corporation for river-approached civic and other banquets. (3-5)

Recorded by NRIM. Photoos and other archive. (6)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1969
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION 5 Industrial Monuments Survey (Provisional Schedule List) March 1974
3 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 18,19 DOE(HHR) Derwent Rural District, Yorkshire East Riding, NOV-1965
4 Yorkshire : York and the East Riding 314 by Nikolaus Pevsner; with contributions from John Hutchinson
5 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of Selby, 14-MAR-1986
6 National Record of Industrial Monuments Recorded by Mr King, undated, Record No.YO69

Related event: (UID 1511398) NATIONAL RECORD OF INDUSTRIAL MONUMENTS Desk Based Assessment 1960 - 1975. Partnership project between the RCHME, CBA and the University of Bath

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 2 2019 11:58AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.