Building record MYO665 - GATE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH WEST OF ST MARGARETS CHURCH
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6090 5152 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Pair of gates, gate piers and overthrow to churchyard of St Margaret's church (qv). 1851-52, restored 1993. By John Walker of the Walker Ironfoundry. Cast-iron. Gates of turned railings with conical finials incorporate bands of Greek key motif. Openwork gate piers, approximately 2.50 metres high, rectangular on plan, of diagonal crossed bars and bands of Greek key, have flat cornice caps. Squat twisted balusters support flat overthrow, cast with the words: "TO ST MARGARET'S CHURCH". (York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 43).
Listing NGR: SE6090251522
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:23PM