Building record MYO705 - 29 Trinity Lane (formerly Ideal Laundry and Towers' Folly)
|Grid reference||SE 5998 5150 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- FACTORY (Early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- FACTORY (Late C17, Late C17 - 1667 AD to 1699 AD)
- FACTORY (Early C19, Early C19 - 1801 AD to 1832 AD)
- ORPHANAGE (c1895, Late C19 to C20 - 1885 AD to 1905 AD)
- LAUNDRY (1915, C20 - 1915 AD to 1915 AD)
- APARTMENT (1997, C20 to Unknown - 1997 AD)
Manufactory, later an orphanage, then laundry, now flats. Late C17 remodelling of early C17 building; further remodelling in early C19. Extended c1895. Original building for Nicholas Towers. C19 extension by WG and A Penty. MATERIALS: orange-red brick, largely in English garden-wall bond, some random bond, with timber doorcase and eaves cornice, and hipped pantile roofs. Extension in English garden-wall bond, with rendered first floor, and tiled roof. Brick stacks to both parts.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay main front, with 2-storey extension at left, with irregular fenestration. Central entrance in main front, in doorcase of plain pilasters with bracketed hood, recessed door of 6 panels, 4 raised and fielded, 2 fluted, and decorative glazed overlight, in panelled reveal. Doors in outer bays are half-glazed with overlights. Several windows blocked: those visible are 12-pane sashes, all with painted stone sills, most with flat arches of gauged bricks. In left end bay, vestiges of C17 segmental arches are visible. Two left bays have modillion eaves cornice, mutilated, which returns at left end. Between the two bays is a fluted inverted bowl rainwater head with fallpipe on fleur-de-lys holdfast clamps. Extension has C20 windows and first floor string course. Rear of main building: fine pair of external chimney stacks, a round-headed staircase window, and sash windows. Wing: ground floor obscured by later building. On upper floor, four half dormers with hipped roofs and tapered finials, 3 with 2-light casements, 1 with replacement glazing. Projecting bracketed eaves with guttering carried on wrought-iron scrolls.
INTERIOR: extensive brick-vaulted cellars. Right end room on ground floor has large fireplace with 4-centred brick arch. Remainder of building has good early C19 doors and door surrounds, windows and window surrounds, reeded with paterae. Also an early C19 staircase with thin fluted balusters. Some rooms also have early C19 fireplaces, also reeded with paterae. HISTORICAL NOTE: original building erected as a soap-boiling factory by Nicholas Towers (Sheriff of York, 1657), and known as 'Towers Folly'. c1800 to 1851, it became the horn and shell comb factory of John Nutt; subsequently the residence of Rev. Henry Vaughan Palmer, whose daughter Henrietta became an
authoress under the pseudonym 'John Strange Winter'. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 215; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 110).
Listing NGR: SE5998751506
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
BF061226 29 TRINITY LANE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building.
Information derived from NMR
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2020 4:31PM