Building record MYO745 - 100-104 The Mount

Summary

Row of 3 houses, now flats and offices. 1807-8. No.102 stuccoed, other houses of painted brick. Slate roof. Exterior: 3 storeys plus attics. Each house of one bay with a doorway at the left. No 104 has Roman burial vault preserved in basement.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 5947 5118 (25m by 24m)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Row of 3 houses, now flats and offices. 1807-8. No.102 stuccoed, other houses of painted brick. Slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attics. Each house of one bay with a doorway at the left. There is a continuous 1st floor sill band and No.102 has stucco quoins. Nos 100 and 102 have 2-storey bowed windows which have tripartite sashes with glazing bars. No.104 has been altered by the insertion of a C20 shop window into the lower storey of the bow and has tripartite sashes without glazing bars on the 1st floor. The 2nd floor window of No.100 is a glazing bar sash. No.102 has a tripartite glazing bar sash on the 2nd floor and No.104 has a sash without glazing bars. Each house has a flat-roofed attic dormer. Each doorcase has reeded pilasters, and attenuated acanthus leaf consoles. The doors have 6 raised and fielded panels. No.100 has a fanlight and the other houses have semicircular overlights, that to No.102 divided vertically into 3. Dentilled gutter cornice. Nos 100 and 102 have lead rainwater hoppers and downpipes. Chimneys between houses and on right-hand gable.

INTERIOR: the cellar of No.104 contains a Roman burial vault which was uncovered on the site in 1807.

(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).
Listing NGR: SE5948451188

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Nos 102-104. The Mount. 1807/8 3 bays x 3 storeys cellars and attics. Building in 1807 and leased 1808 (title deeds). Roman vault foud 17 August 1807 (Hargrove, II, 506). For sale YC19/8/1812. Brick but centre house stuccoed. Moulded and dentilled cornice. Doorways with fluted pilasters and tall sleder foliated consoles. Good curved bays. Back kitchen added by 1813.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127

NMR Information
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060897 100-104 THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


RCHME, 1962, Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum, p.127 (Bibliographic reference). SYO62.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Bibliographic reference: RCHME. 1962. Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum. 1. p.127.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 23 2021 2:20PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.