Building record MYO761 - The Old Rectory 7A Tanner Row

Summary

The building was built circa 1600 and the timber framed building may originally have been a warehouse. It was probably converted to domestic use in the late 17th century.

Location

Grid reference SE 6002 5178 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.7A All Saints Rectory TANNER ROW. Possibly warehouse, now rectory to All Saints Church, North Street (qv). c1600; probably converted to domestic use in late C17 by insertion of chimney stack; alterations of C19 and C20. Timber-framed with infilling of orange-pink brick in random and stretcher bonds, some plastered and white-washed; pantile roof with rendered stack. 3 bays of timber-framing.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 2-window front, gabled to street with jettied upper storeys. Entrance in rear access passage in No.7 (qv). Ground floor windows are unequal 20-pane sashes; those on first floor 2 x 8-pane horizontal sliding sashes; attic window is c1700 12-pane sash; all have painted sills. Right return: 2 storeys, 3 bays. Two blocked original window openings on ground floor: on first floor are two 2-light casements with diamond lattice glazing, one in original opening, one inserted.

INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record fine staircase with carved square newels, c1640, from Alne Hall, installed in 1937. Framing exposed in east and west walls, together with chamfered beams and joists. Attic has gypsum plaster floor. Roof of principal rafter trusses with framed-in purlins. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 107-8).
Listing NGR: SE6003651762

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

No. 7A, bears on modern plaster at the back the dates 1498–1937; the latter is the date of a restoration undertaken by the Rev. P. Shaw when Rector of the adjacent All Saints' Church. No evidence for the date 1498 has been discovered, and the structure is probably of c. 1600 or later. The building is timber-framed in three bays; it originally had no chimney and there is no evidence of any internal partitions. This suggests that it may not have been built as a house, but because of its situation near the river frontage it would have been suitable for a warehouse. The house has been considerably altered by the insertion, probably in the late 17th century, of a central chimney-stack with back-to-back fireplaces at ground floor, and partition walls in both storeys. A spendid oak staircase of c. 1640, said to have come from Alne Hall, was inserted in 1937.

The elevation to Tanner Row is gabled, with jetties at first-floor and at eaves level; the ground floor has been rebuilt in brick with hung-sash windows; the upper part is stuccoed and also has later windows. On the W. side the framing is exposed; the windows, two blocked below and two renewed above, occupy original window positions.

Internally much of the original framing remains exposed in the E. and W. walls together with the chamfered beams and the joists which carry the upper floor; between the main cross-beams there are spine beams carrying the joists except in the N. bay where the joists run longitudinally to form the jetty. In the attic the floor is of gypsum carried on exposed timbers. The roof is carried on simple trusses with purlins framed to the principal rafters.

RCHME Vol III. 1972. pp. 107 Monument 122

NMR Information
The building was built circa 1600 and the timber framed building may originally have been a warehouse. It was probably converted to domestic use in the late 17th century, when a chimney was inserted. Further alterations to the house took place in the 19th century and it was in use as a Rectory by 1997.

Full description(s) (SE 60025178 - O.S 1/2500, 1963)

1. TANNER ROW 5343

No 7A (The Old Rectory) (formerly listed as No 7A (All Saints Rectory)) SE 6051 NW 28/318 14.6.54

II*

2. Probably early C17. Later restoration and alteration. Two storeys plus attic; brick ground storey at front; upper storey and gable timber frame plastered with overhangs at 1st floor and eaves; west
side of exposed square panel timber frame below plain partly plastered gable; 2 later sash windows above and below, and one in gable; doorway in plain wood surround is at right-hand side of
No 7 (q.v.). Interior has much exposed timber frame and notable staircase of circa 1640 which is not in situ. (RCHM Vol III, Monument 122).

Sources
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest p.348 City of York, June 1983.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061214 THE OLD RECTORY, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 7 2020 2:52PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.