Building record MYO762 - The Corner Pin
|Grid reference||SE 6001 5176 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House, now public house. Mid C18, with early C19 wing; extended and altered mid C19; further extension in C20. Stuccoed brick with timber screen on ground floor; timber eaves cornice on paired brackets; pantile roof with rendered stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 2-window front. Ground floor screen of plain pilasters with moulded imposts, plain frieze and cornice: door at left end of 6 raised and fielded panels, and diamond lattice fixed light windows over sunk panel risers. On first floor, 4-pane sash window to left; to right, canted bay window with 4-pane centre sash. INTERIOR: mid C19 panelled bar counter. The house was known as 'The Unicorn' public house by 1804. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 108).
Listing NGR: SE6001551760
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Unicorn, No. 17, was originally a small 18th-century house, two-storeyed with an L-shaped plan comprising a range, one room wide, along the street and a wing extending to S. By 1804 it had already become The Unicorn public house, occupied by William Dale, and was owned by John Kilby, brewer of Tanner Row (YCA, E.96, ff. 30–1). In the first half of the 19th century a three-storeyed wing was built behind, filling in the angle between the former ranges and projecting further S. The original disposition of rooms has been lost in later alterations, and the interior is now substantially of c. 1840–50, or later.
The N. front was completely altered in the 19th century, though the upper windows could be in the original positions. The ground floor has windows and doors framed by timber pilasters and entablature of c. 1840–50. At the eaves is a timber cornice. The whole of the ground-floor front range of the original building is occupied by the bar; simple moulded door architraves and the bar counter with panelled front are all of the mid 19th century.
RCHME Vol. III 1972. pp108. Monument 108
Information derived from the NMR
House built in the mid 18th century, with an additional wing added in the early 19th century. The building building was extended and altered in the mid 19th century when it was converted into a public house. There were further extensions to the building in the 20th century.
BF061217 THE UNICORN PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2020 11:13AM