Building record MYO785 - 54 & 56-58 Stonegate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6028 5208 (14m by 14m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Formerly known as: Nos.32, 33 AND 34 STONEGATE. Part of row of houses, now two shops. Early C14 with later alteration; C19 shopfronts. Timber-framed, plastered at front, rendered at rear; timber shopfronts and eaves guttering; pantile roof with brick stacks and one raking dormer with 2x4-pane Yorkshire sash window at front.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic; 5-bay front, with jettied upper floors. Shopfronts have large-pane windows over flush- or sunk-panelled risers and half-glazed doors: part framed in fluted cast-iron columns, part in plain pilasters with acanthus blocks at the head: vestigial cornice overall. At far right end, battened door in ovolo moulded architrave beside 9-pane fixed light. First floor windows are canted oriels: two left windows have 8:16:8-pane sashes; to right, one has 4:12:4-pane sashes, one four unequal 15-pane sashes: at far right end, 12-pane sash. All remaining windows are Yorkshire sashes, either 2x6-pane, 2x12-pane, 3x9-pane or 2x4-pane, except for 2-light window at far right end with C20 glazing. Eaves cornice is plain at left end, modillioned at right, with fluted inverted bell rainwater head at right of centre.
INTERIOR: No.58: on ground floor, blocked elliptical arch on panelled pilasters with moulded imposts leads to staircase. Staircase with open strings rises to first floor, with column-on-vase balusters and stairwell dado lined with fielded panelling. First floor front room fully lined with C17 square wainscoting and carved arcaded frieze: restored fireplace enriched with paterae, lion masks and floral drops: panelled ceiling beam. Nos 54 & 56 not inspected. RCHM records timber-framing visible.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 225-6).
Listing NGR: SE6027452080
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(471) Houses, Nos. 54-60 (even), constitute a three-storey timber-framed range of four tenements, built probably in the early or mid 14th century, the framing having similarities with other early timber structures in the city, especially Lady Row in Goodramgate (222). The site was aquired by the Vicars Choral in 1278. In 1415 the 'site with shops built on it and chambers above at the corner of Stonegate opposite the entrance of the Minster' was devoted to the support of St. Andrew's chantry in the Minster, and accordingly came into lay hands in 1549 at the dissolution of the chantries; however, the Vicars Choral later regained control of the property. The range is seven bays long with a ftrontage of 80 ft. Extending to the corner of High Petergate., the trusses being numbered from that end. Iit is certain that there were original partitions below the fifth and sixth trusses, and it is possible that originally each bay was a separate tenement. The existing divisions, of much later date, do not correspond exactly with the bays and partly overlap each other on the upper floors. In the 17th century, perhaps in 1646, the second floor and roof of the two N.N. Bays (No. 60) were completely rebuilt; there have been lesser alterations at many dates and among later fittings there is a notable early 17th-century panelled room in No. 58.
The street elevations are rendered and both upper floors jettied out, thought he rebuilt second floor of No. 60 has a lesser projection. The windows, of the 18th and 19th centuries, have hung or horizontally sliding sashes and there are four canted bays on the first floor; the diverse shop fronts are of the 19th century but No. 58 has a 17th-century battened door with contemporary ovolo-moulded architrave. At the E£. Angle are shaped corner posts on ground and first floors supporting dragon beams; the lower post has applied mouldings at the springing, inscribed: ANO : DO : 1646. The back elevation, also rendered, is not jettied and has several small additions in brick; the roofs are pantiled.
Framing can be seen inside only in a few places, noteably in the partition below the fifth truss which forms the division between Nos. 56 and 58, and in the rear wall of No. 56. The posts have enlarged heads of angular shape, and there are straight or nearly straight braces both in the partition and the rear wall. Only the fifth and seventh original roof trusses survive; they have tall crown-posts without enlarged heads and short straight braces up from the slightly cambered tie-beams; the collar-purlin between these two trusses has has mortices indicating the position of the crown-post and purlin-braces of the lost sixth truss. The rebuilt roof of No. 60 has clasped-purlins but many original 5 in square rafters are reused. The early 17th-century oak panelling of the first-floor room of No. 58 has an ornately carved frieze of blind arches and pilasters (Plates 170, 197). On the first floor in No. 60 the ceiling has decorative plasterwork, probably of 1646, including arabesques on the beams, and on the second floor in the same house the larger room has contemporary plank-and-muntin panelling. Other fittings throughout the range are mostly of the 18th and 19th centuries.
1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 226. London: RCHME
Nos. 54-60, an excellent three-storey timber-framed range built in the C14.C19 shopfronts. Upper floors jettied and plastered. Parts of the original crown-post roof survive. The second floor and roof of No. 60 were rebuilt in the C17. The date of 1646 inscribed on the corner post probably refers to this work as well as to the decorated plaster ceiling and panelling inside. No. 58 has a C17 battened door with ovolo-moulded surround and on the first floor a splendid panelled room of c. 1600 with an arcade motif. Nos. 48-52 have C15-C16 timber framing.
Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p233. London: Penguin
Images attached to MYO785 from cellar of no.56-58 supplied by John Buglass 2019.
Two NMR entries for these building as 54-60 Stonegate and 54-58 Stonegate
SE 60295209-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. STONEGATE (north-west side)
No 58 (formerly listed as No 32)
SE 6052 SW 27/596 14.6.54
Probably early-mid C15. Timber frame rendered; 3 storeys; overhangs at 1st and 2nd floors; one large oriel window to 1st storey; C18 fenestration and modillion eaves cornice; modern pantiles. Ground storey has a C17 battened door in ovolo-moulded architrave and C17 immovable sash window at side. Interior retains good panelling in 1st storey room. (RHCM) Vol V, Monument 471).
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p330-331 City of York, June 1983.
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
OP07983 A view taken outside 58 Stonegate, York, looking south-west along the street
BF061198 54-60 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
2019, 56-58 Stonegate Historic Fabric Survey (Unpublished document). SYO2262.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2020 11:38AM