Building record MYO787 - 33 Swinegate
|Grid reference||SE 6035 5194 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (7)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- HOUSE (c1700, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1680 AD to 1720 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- GARAGE (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- RESTAURANT (Now, Undated)
- HAIRDRESSERS SALON (Now, Undated)
House; now restaurant and hairdressing salon. Original building probably C15, raised and re-roofed in early C17: rear wing and staircase added c1700. Building refronted and rear roof hipped in early C19. Further alterations and extension in C20.
MATERIALS: front part timber-framed, faced with stucco lined to resemble ashlar; rear of red-brown brick: pantile roofs, hipped at rear, and with stone coped gables to parallel front ranges.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 3-window twin-gabled front. C20 shopfront with upstairs door to left. Windows on first floor are 4-pane sashes, on second floor 2-light casements, all in raised architraves and with rendered sills. Moulded second floor band. Rear: 3 storeys, 3 windows. Ground floor obscured by extension. Windows on first floor are 4-pane sashes and one glazed door; on second floor, casements. All have 1-course segmental brick arches. Raised band to second floor.
INTERIOR: quarter-turn staircase survives to second floor but with altered bottom flight. Original stairs have slender turned balusters, square newels with pendants and attached half balusters, and moulded handrail, ramped up on lower flights. Moulded dado rail to ground floor of stairwell. Fragments of timber-frame visible on first and second floors.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 235).
Listing NGR: SE6035451949
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 33, of three storeys in brick, was built in the second quarter of the 18th century, incorporating an early 17th-century timber-framed double ranged building of at least two bays. It was modified in the second quarter of the 19th century, when the front doorway and window surrounds were renewed, and again in modern times, when the ground floor was converted to a garage.
The double-gabled front elevation is rendered, with simulated stone joints and with a moulded string-course at second-floor level. The 18th-century ground plan had an entrance hall, a staircase to one side, and two rooms with fireplaces back to back, but the whole chimney-stack has been removed. Fragments of timber framing are visible in the front rooms on the second floor. With the exception of the upper part of the staircase, nearly all original fittings have been removed. The staircase, which rises about a rectangular well with quarter landings, has turned balusters, an open string up to the first floor and a close string above.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 235
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061204 33 SWINEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2020 3:30PM