Building record MYO814 - 35A Stonegate

Summary

Number 35A Stonegate, formerly known as 24 Stonegate. A house dating from circa 1700 and extended in the late 18th century. The extension was altetred in the early 19th century and a shopfront was inserted in the late 19th century.

Location

Grid reference SE 6027 5206 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.24 STONEGATE. House, now shop. c1700 with later C18 extension; extension altered in early C19; late C19 shopfront. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber shopfront and cornice; window arches of white gauged brick: pantile roof with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Full-width shopfront framed in plain pilasters with moulded imposts and moulded cornice on carved brackets has 3-light window with moulded mullions and transom, recessed glazed shop door to left, 4-panel passage door with overlight to right. Passage door overlight advertises: 'J W Knowles/ Stained Glass/ Leaded Lights/ Decorations'. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes, those on first floor lengthened with renewed painted stone sills, those on second floor retaining original moulded sills. Moulded and modillioned cornice.

INTERIOR: ground floor: front part of shop has one wall panelled to full height with raised panelling, the other panelled below moulded dado rail. Elliptical arch on paired pilasters with acanthus capitals leads to rear extension. Door in back wall has radial fanlight in round-arched doorcase with pilasters and capitals enriched with composition mouldings. First floor: staircase with close strings, bulbous balusters, square newels and plain handrail rises to attic: lowest flights removed. Front room has moulded cornice; timber-framed cross wall of No.35 (qv) is exposed. Second floor: front room has corner fireplace; rear room has fireplace in plain stone surround.

HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1762 to 1837 the building was Todd's Book and Print Warehouse, illustrated in 1797 by Henry Cave.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 234; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 91).
Listing NGR: SE6027952060

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(489) No. 35a of three storeys and attics in brick, was built in c. 1700. The ground floor has been gutted to form a modern shop but the original plan remains above. The front room, with three windows and a corner fireplace, occupies the full width of the house. A narrow wing behind contains a staircase and back room, also with a corner fireplace. The front roomswere refitted in the late 18th century. The staircase, placed transversely, has close strings, square newels and bulbous balusters. In the back wing is an original window with moulded wooden mullion and transom. Behind is a small extension of the early 19th century.

1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 234. London: RCHME

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061185 35A STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 22 2020 11:41AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.