Building record MYO889 - SHRINE OF ST MARGARET CLITHEROW
|Grid reference||SE 6045 5185 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- FIRST FLOOR HALL HOUSE (Late C14, Medieval - 1367 AD to 1399 AD)
- SHRINE (Now, Undated)
- JETTIED HOUSE (Late C14, Medieval - 1367 AD to 1399 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Late C15, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (1954, C20 - 1954 AD to 1954 AD)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL (*restored, C20 - 1954 AD to 1954 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Altered, Post Medieval - 1571 AD to 1599 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built, Medieval - 1366 AD to 1399 AD)
House, now religious shrine. Late C14 1st-floor hall block with late C15 extension at front; heavily restored 1954. Timber-framed; ground floor rebuilt in variegated brick in Flemish bond, upper storeys rendered; pantile roofs with brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 1-bay gabled front with jettied first floor. C20 board door in plain surround with canopy hood on carved brackets, to left of segmental 4-light bow window with moulded cornice. First floor has two 2-light casement windows, attic one squat 6-pane fixed light. Rear: 3-storeys, 3 unequal bays with exposed timber-framing. Inserted 1-light windows on all floors and one 3-light oriel on first floor. All windows have square leaded lights. Right return of hall block: exposed crown post truss in gable end.
INTERIOR: RCHM records timber-framing and crown post roof. Association of this house with St Margaret Clitherow, instead of Nos 10-11 (qv), is incorrect.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 217).
Listing NGR: SE6045551857
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Architectural Survey 14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
BF061129 35-36 THE SHAMBLES, YORK
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2020 2:54PM