Building record MYO898 - 16-22 St Saviourgate
|Grid reference||SE 6063 5194 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Terrace of four houses. c1740 with later C18 and early C19 doorcases and some later fenestration.
MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond on painted stone plinth with painted stone quoins, bands and dressings; timber cornice and doorcases. Twin span roof, front range tiled, rear range pantiled, with brick coping and brick stacks; shaped parapet masks valley on right return.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 16-window front. No.16 has two doorcases of plain pilasters and entablatures, right end one leading to through passage; No.18 has doorcase of fluted pilasters with moulded imposts, festooned frieze and dentilled cornice hood; No.20 has doorcase of half-elliptical columns with paired acanthus brackets at the head, swagged frieze with angle roundels and moulded cornice hood; No.22 has doorcase of sunk panel pilasters, frieze moulded with festoons and vases, and dentilled cornice hood. No.20 has 2-panel door, others of 6 raised and fielded panels. Ground and first floor windows are 12-pane sashes, with incised panel shutters on ground floor: second floor has unequal 9-pane sashes or short 12-pane sashes. All windows have moulded sills and flat arches of gauged brick with painted keyblocks, those on second floor partly obscured by bold projecting cornice on paired shaped brackets. Attic dormers are gabled or flat with 2-light casements. Raised bands to first and second floors. Fluted bowl rainwater heads between Nos 16 and 18, and Nos 20 and 22.
INTERIOR: of No.16. Stone-flagged entrance hall. Entrance and staircase halls and stair well retain dado panelling. Entrance hall and first and second floor landings divided by moulded round arches on pilasters with moulded imposts. Ground floor: front room panelled in two heights with moulded cornice; fireplace with incised panel jambs and frieze flanked by panelled cupboard doors. First floor: front room has panelled dado and moulded cornice; fireplace flanked by round-arched alcoves. Rear room has panelled dado and moulded cornice; moulded cornice overdoors; overmantel panel with broken pediment and volute sidepieces reset over plain fireplace. No.18: entrance hall and landings divided by moulded round arch on pilasters with moulded imposts. Open string staircase rising to attics has column on vase balusters, bulbous turned newels and heavy ramped-up handrail.
Ground floor: front room to left has coved moulded cornice with acanthus decoration and beaded panel window reveal. Front room right is fully panelled and has painted stone fireplace with mid C19 round-headed grate; hemi-domed niche to left and round-headed panelled cupboard door to right. Rear room to left is fully panelled with console cornice and C19 marble fireplace. First floor: front room right has fireplace flanked by panelled cupboard doors on H or H-L hinges with plank door on butterfly hinges inside left one. Rear room to right has plain fireplace with mid C19 grate. Second floor: both rooms to right have cast-iron grates in plain surrounds. Attic: landing doors are of 2 raised and fielded panels on H or H-L hinges. Moulded plaster cornices survive in a number of rooms on main floors. Interior of No.20 incorporated into No.18. No.22: stairhall arch as above; Plaster cornices survive in entrance and stair halls, and in front rooms on ground and first floors. On second floor and in attic, front rooms have fireplaces with cast-iron grates and panelled cupboard doors.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 208-209; Sales particulars relating to Nos 16 and 22: Humberts, York: 1993-).
Listing NGR: SE6063551938
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, Nos. 16–22 (even), were built as a terrace c. 1740. They appear in a sketch by Nathaniel Buck in 1743, and an engraving of the subject dated 15 April 1745, described as 'New Building of several Houses in St. Saviourgate'.
The main street front, of three storeys over cellars and with dormered attics, is built in good Flemish-bonded brickwork, terminated at each end by flush stone quoins, and the storeys are divided by stone bands. All the original entrance surrounds were replaced either in the late 18th or early 19th century, and many of the sash windows were enlarged by the lowering of the moulded stone sills and reglazed with plateglass in the second half of the 19th century. The bold eaves cornice is supported on pairs of shaped brackets, with the heads of the upper windows breaking into the fascia board. All windows have flat arches of gauged brick; those to the ground and first floors have stone key-blocks and those over the entrances have double key-blocks. The houses vary in size: Nos. 18 and 22 are of three bays to the street, No. 16 is of four bays and No. 20 of six bays. Nos. 18 and 20 have interlocking L-shaped floor plans; No. 18 has one room to the front and two to the rear, whilst No. 20 has two rooms to the front and one at the back. A ground-floor front room of No. 20 has been incorporated into No. 18.
All four houses have moulded architraves to the doorways; the staircases are to the same design, with two flights between floors and three turned balusters per tread. The ground-floor rooms of No. 18 are fully panelled, as is the front room on the ground floor of No. 16. Many of the original fireplaces were replaced in the 19th century, but those to the front rooms of Nos. 16 and 18, and in some of the upper rooms, are original, though blocked. On the upper floors there has been some rearrangement of doorways to the small closets over the front entrance passages, and small closets have been added at the backs with access from the half-landings.
Monument 409; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 208-209
(SE 60625194 - O.S 1/2500, 1963)
1. ST SAVIOURGATE (south-east side) 5343
Nos 16 to 22 (even)
SE 6051 NE 17/516 14.6.54
Circa 1740 with later alterations. Brick; 3 storeys plus attic; stone 'long-and-short' quoins at sides; stone bands between storeys; 16 sash windows with flat brick arches, the ground and 1st storey
windows with keyblocks and those over doorways with double keyblocks some windows altered and with later C18 and late C19 glazing; doorways altered late C19 or early C19: No 16 has plain pilasters
and entablature, No 18 fluted pilasters, frieze with swags and urn also dentil cornice, No 20 reeded pilasters with swagged caps, richly swagged frieze with urn, on paired acanthus consoles with
paterae over and light cornice, and No 22 has panelled pilasters with swags over, swagged frieze and light cornice; heavy eaves cornice on paired modillions.
The interiors retain original features including good staircases and panelling in the ground storey of No 18 and also the front ground storey room of No 16. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 409).
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p302 City of York, June 1983.
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061101 16-22 ST SAVIOURGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 5:12PM