Building record MYO900 - 26 St Saviourgate
|Grid reference||SE 6064 5195 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Town house, now church and hostel. Early C18 with early C19 and C20 alteration. For Thomas Fothergill.
MATERIALS: front of white-washed brick in Flemish bond on chamfered plinth, with timber cornice; chamfered quoins, doorcases and dressings of painted stone: rear of red-brown brick. Tiled roof with brick stacks; three flat dormers with 2x4-pane windows at front.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay front. Central door of 6 raised and fielded panels with fluted transom and plain fanlight, in round-arched architrave with spandrel paterae: left end passage door of 6 sunk panels beneath 8-pane overlight in bolection-moulded doorway. Continuous moulded cornice on ground floor breaks over each door to form cornice hood. On ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes, on first floor unequal 15-pane sashes, centre one in eared raised surround: all have painted stone sills and painted brick arches. First floor windows have cast-iron window guards. Dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice with embossed rainwater head with winged cherub head, dated 1740, initialled MF, to left of centre window. Rear: 3-storey, twin gabled front. Round-arched staircase window in centre. Other openings altered.
INTERIOR: ground floor: stone-flagged entrance hall and passage; fluted cornices to entrance- and stairhalls; elliptical stairhall arch on pilasters with moulded imposts. Front room left has moulded ceiling cornice and round-headed basket grate in painted stone bolection-moulded fireplace with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice shelf. In rooms to right moulded cornices survive. Main staircase to second floor has open string, turned balusters and heavy moulded handrail ramped up to square newels: matching dado of raised and fielded panelling to stairwell. Staircase window flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters with triglyph frieze and moulded dentilled cornice. Secondary staircase to second floor has close string, slim bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and plain handrail. On first floor, moulded plaster ceiling to landing with central rosette in lozenge frame. Other upper floor rooms retain original fireplaces with altered grates, and some panelling, mostly bolection-moulded.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 210). Listing NGR: SE6064751952
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 26, of good quality, was built c. 1725. It is shown on John Cossins' plan of York of c. 1727 with a drawing of it in the margin described as the house of Thomas Fothergill Esq. It was still referred to as 'newly built' in Drake's Eboracum of 1736 (p. 312). The ownership of Marmaduke Fothergill is commemorated by a rainwater head dated 1740 with his initials.
The house is of two storeys with attics. The front, five bays wide, has a moulded stone string-course at the level of the first floor and a dentilled timber cornice at the eaves. The central entrance was remodelled early in the 19th century but the entrance to a side passage retains the original bolection-moulded surround and door with bolection-moulded panels. The windows are set under flat arches of gauged brick but the middle window on the first floor has a raised eared surround. Small cast-iron guards were added to the first-floor windows early in the 19th century. The back of the house is roofed at right angles to the street with a valley between two gables; the rear fenestration has been much altered but there is an original round-headed window lighting the staircase.
The plan with the staircase behind the central entrance hall and a secondary staircase to one side is typical of many 18th-century houses of this class. The interior is generally well fitted but without elaboration; some of the fireplaces and panelling have been removed. The main staircase has open strings and substantial turned balusters; the staircase window is flanked by fluted pilasters with a Doric frieze. The secondary staircase has close strings. An original fireplace surround and remaining panelling have bolection mouldings.
Monument 411; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 210
(SE 60655195-O.S 1/2500, 1963)
1. ST SAVIOURGATE (south-east side) 5343
No 26 (formerly listed as Nos 26 and 28)
SE 6051 NE 17/518 14.6.54
Circa 1725 with some later alteration. Brick on stone plinth; 2 storeys plus attic; 5 sash windows with flat brick arches, the centre window at 1st storey in raised dog-eared surround; moulded
stone stringcourse at 1st floor. First storey windows have early C19 small cast iron guards; central doorway, which was remodelled early C19, has semi-circular arched head with plain fanlight and
small cornice on reeded consoles; original passage doorway on left-hand side in stone bolection mould and with fielded-panelled door; rainwater head inscribed M F with date 1740; dentil and
modillion eaves cornice. The interior has original features including staircse. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 411).
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p303 City of York, June 1983.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061103 STONEBOW EVANGELICAL CHURCH, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 5:13PM