Building record MYO905 - 34 St Saviourgate
|Grid reference||SE 6065 5197 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built mid C15, Medieval - 1433 AD to 1466 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (C16 additions, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- HOUSE (Remodelled mid C18, Early C18 to Mid C18 - 1733 AD to 1766 AD)
- HOUSE (Modified C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- RAINWATER HEAD (1780, Late C18 - 1780 AD to 1780 AD)
House. Mid C15; 3rd storey added in C16; remodelled mid C18; left return rebuilt in C20. Timber-frame encased in brown brick in Flemish bond; timber doorcase and cornice; M-shaped pantile roof with two brick stacks in valley.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Plain doorcase with moulded cornice hood has door of 6 beaded panels beneath divided overlight. Ground floor window is tripartite with 16-pane centre sash and renewed stone sill; first and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills. Ground and first floor windows have cambered brick arches; second floor windows 1-course segmental arches. 4-course raised brick band at second floor. Moulded modillion eaves cornice. Rear: two 12-pane sash windows on ground floor: paired 12-pane sash windows to first and second floors. 4-course raised brick bands at first and second floors; brick eaves band with rainwater head dated 1780 at right end.
INTERIOR: vestiges of timber-framing survive in left cross wall, spine beams and joists on all floors. Staircase noted to have slender spindles. Fireplace in ground floor rear room has heavy timber lintel: fireplace in second floor rear room has hob grate in plain surround. First floor rear room has blocked ogee-headed doorway: elsewhere, 6-panel doors survive.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 211). Listing NGR: SE6066051967
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 34, is of three storeys and two bays wide, built in brick. The external appearance is consistent with the date 1780, which appears on a rainwater head, but the house incorporates a two-storeyed timber-framed mediaeval building of four bays depth, to which a third full storey was added in the 16th century. Although the exact form of the original house is not now clear, it was obviously a substantial building, even before it was heightened. It was one of 'three tenements lying together', probably built by Thomas Bracebrig between 1443 and 1465 (Yorkshire Deeds i, YASRS, xxxix, 188, No. 508; Yorkshire Deeds iv, YASRS, lxv, 160–1, Nos. 543, 544).
Only the N. side wall of the timber-framed house survives in any completeness, with posts of the two E. bays remaining. The ground-floor room at the rear retains the original cross-beam, and the housings to the soffit show the positions of braces, studs and two windows, of three and two lights. Some encroachment on the site by the house to the S. is denoted by the reduced width of the W. front room, illustrated by the numbering of the joists. A blocked 15th-century doorway, with an ogee-shaped head, remains in the first-floor E. back room; it probably gave access to an adjacent building on the N., now demolished. Housings for the common rafters of the original roof to the two-storeyed building exist in the upper side of the N. wall-plate. When this roof was removed, a second wall-plate was placed above the original one, both having scarf joints (Fig. 5b). The building was heightened by placing short posts above the earlier ones. This added storey was jettied towards the rear but, due to the rebuilding of the street frontage in the late 18th century, no evidence remains for the original form of the W. elevation. Only part of one roof truss of the three-storey building survives; this has been broken into by the formation of a chimney-stack in the 18th century. It has a cambered tie-beam and a kerb-principal from tie-beam to collar supporting a purlin, of 16th-century type.
Monument 413; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 211
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061108 34 ST SAVIOURGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 4:22PM