Building record MYO913 - 3 St Sampson's Square

Summary

House built in the late 18th century for Alderman Thomas Hartley, with 20th century alterations and shopfront. The building is now in use as offices.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6029 5187 (1m by 0m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

House, now offices. Late C18 with C20 alteration and shopfront. For Alderman Thomas Hartley.

MATERIALS: front of red brick in Flemish bond on painted stone plinth; window arches of orange gauged brick, painted stone sills and sill band; modillion eaves cornice and shopfront of timber. Rear of pink-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond. Pyramidal slate roof with truncated brick stack at apex.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Pedimented doorcase of pilasters and entablature to left of shopfront; door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath radial fanlight in round-arched architrave. Shopfront framed in plain pilasters with imposts beneath broad frieze and moulded cornice: central glazed door and radial fanlight in round-arched architrave recessed between shallow, square-paned bow windows, each beneath square-paned overlights behind decorative grilles of crossed bars. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes, those on first floor taller, with sill band to first floor windows, and sills to those on second floor. Rear: round-headed staircase window to right of centre.

INTERIOR: partly boarded-in staircase with cantilevered stone steps with curved treadends, concave sided stick balusters and slender ramped-up handrail.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 206).
Listing NGR: SE6029651873

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Melrose House, No. 3 (Plate 147; Fig. 129), of three storeys, was built in the late 18th century by Alderman Thomas Hartley, a brewer, on the site of The King's Head Inn, which he bought in 1768 (YCA, E94, f. 90v; E95, f. 176). The front, of four bays in good quality Flemish-bonded brickwork, has a stone platband at the first floor and narrower bands joining the window-sills of the two lower storeys; at the eaves is a modillioned timber cornice. The entrance doorway, with a semicircular fanlight, has a pilastered and pedimented timber door-case. The windows are set under gauged flat arches. The back, faced with poorer quality brickwork, without bands or cornice, has a tall round-headed window lighting the stairs. Inside, the ground floor has been altered to a shop. The entrance was originally in the second bay, and the entrance passage had a large room to one side and a small room to the other. The staircase, between the back rooms, has cantilevered stone steps and straight cast-iron balusters.

City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 206

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061091 MELROSE HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

People and Organisations

Person of historic interest/notable pers THOMAS HARTLEY 1767 1799


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Jun 28 2020 3:36PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.