Building record MYO914 - 5 St Sampson Square
|Grid reference||SE 6031 5191 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- INN (Early C18, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1700 AD to 1732 AD)
- INN (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- INN (Later C19, Early C19 to Late C19 - 1833 AD to 1899 AD)
- TEA ROOM (Late C20, C20 to Unknown - 1980 AD)
- DEPARTMENT STORE (Late C20, C20 to Unknown - 1970 AD)
Inn, now tea shop and part of department store. Early C18 front block incorporating rear block, probably early C17; alterations of early and later C19. Rear block timber-framed. Front block colour-washed stucco on ground floor, upper floors rough cast and colour washed; timber eaves cornice, and roofs of slate and pantile.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front on low plinth. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels with overlight to right of centre, in doorcase of fluted half-columns with moulded cornice on scrolled brackets. Windows on all floors are 12-pane sashes in raised architraves, those on ground and second floors with sills. Broad fascia band beneath first floor windows, and plain eaves band beneath moulded modillion cornice. Wrought-iron lantern above door.
INTERIOR: ground floor: in front part, C19 boarded dado, and exposed spine beams and joists; in rear part, vestiges of timber-framing are visible, with studding in left wall, and to right segmental fireplace arch is exposed. On first floor, staircase to attic has moulded close string, tall turned balusters and heavy moulded handrail raked up to square newels with attached half-balusters. The head of a jowled post and truncated wall plate are visible in rear part. On the second floor, front right room has corner fireplace in moulded stone surround with deep moulded shelf; front left room has cupboard door of 2 raised and fielded panels. In the attic, doors and partitions are plank; roof underdrawn. The inn was known as The Golden Lyon in early C18.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 207).
Listing NGR: SE6031451915
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(398) Former Golden Lion, p.h., No. 5, of three storeys and attics, built of brick with slate and pantile roofs, dates from the second quarter of the 18th century but has been modified since. It was bought by Thomas Crosby, innholder, in 1729 and was already called The Golden Lyon (YCA, E93, 46).
The S.E. front elevation has a smooth stuccoed ground floor, with two sash windows to the left and one to the right of an early 19th-century doorway, with reeded pilasters and scroll brackets supporting an entablature. Above a fascia strip, white pilaster strips frame the rough-cast first and second floors, each with three sash windows, under a modillioned eaves cornice. The plan in the 18th century was L-shaped, with a staircase in the angle between the two ranges. On the N.W. side is a late 19th-century wing of two storeys, extending further to the rear and incorporating part of a timber-framed building in its S.W. wall. The front range is divided into two rooms on the first floor and three on the second floor. The 18th-century staircase, surviving above first-floor level, has a close moulded string, turned balusters with round knops, and square newels with attached half-balusters.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 207
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061092 5 ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2020 4:20PM