Building record MYO917 - Roman Bath Public House, 9 St Sampson Square

Summary

Public house, built in 1929-31, to designs by B Wilson, incorporating parts of a Roman bath in the cellar. The baths date to the 4th century and comprise three rooms and hypocaust.

Location

Grid reference SE 6033 5192 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Mail Coach Public House ST SAMPSON'S PLACE. Public house. 1929-31, incorporating remains of C4 Roman bath-house. Baths constructed for the VI and IX Legions. Pub designed by B Wilson. Ground floor of rusticated stone with ashlar dressings; first floor of replica timber-framing with red brick infill, some herringbone pattern, some stretcher bond; Westmorland slate roof with brick stack.

EXTERIOR: 2 angled fronts to fit corner site, both of 2 storeys and 2 bays, one bay in each front gabled. Main front on St Sampson's Square has entrance at right end, with panelled door and overlight in doorcase of half-octagonal columns capped with finials; to left is 4-light mullion window. On first floor, gabled bay is jettied on corbels and brackets and has 4-light window; over door is single casement. Secondary front to left repeats detail of main front, with original door blocked with fixed light window. All windows are leaded and incorporate coloured glass motifs.

INTERIOR: parts of a Roman caldarium, frigidarium with apse, and hypocaust footings are preserved in the cellar. Public house formerly known as The Mail Coach.

(Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 137; Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 177).
Listing NGR: SE6034751934

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 6034-5193-O.S 1/2500,1963)

1. ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE (north-east side)
5343

No 9 (Roman Bath Public House) (formerly listed as the Mail Coach Public House).

SE 6051 NW 28/510 14.6.54

II* GV
2.
Included solely for the Remains of the Roman Baths, now forming the cellar of the public house. The remains date from the early C4 and consist of 3 of the main rooms, with hypocaust. The C20 part of the Public House is not of special interest.

Sources
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Default value used to record large numbers of archive items which are not separately catalogued. p296 City of York, June 1983.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of York, 14-MAR-1997

Related Archives

BB88/04375 ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE.EXCAVATED 1930-1 (EX MAIL COACH INN) PREVIOUSLY SE65SW2

BF086949 ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.

People and Organisations

Architect B WILSON 1929-1931


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Sep 26 2020 4:45PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.