Building record MYO959 - Baptist Chapel

Summary

Baptist Chapel built in 1862, with later alteration. By William Peachey. Yellow-grey dressed stone on plinth, with grey ashlar chamfered plinth band and dressings; slate roof with stone coped gables. 4-bay aisled nave with clerestory, articulated by gabled pilaster buttresses; north-west entrance foyer and 2-stage north tower between similar dwarf buttresses; vestry, offices and Sunday School at south-east end.

Location

Grid reference SE 5984 5150 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Baptist Church. 1862, with later alteration. By William Peachey. Yellow-grey dressed stone on plinth, with grey ashlar chamfered plinth band and dressings; slate roof with stone coped gables. PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave with clerestory, articulated by gabled pilaster buttresses; north-west entrance foyer and 2-stage north tower between similar dwarf buttresses; vestry, offices and Sunday School at south-east end.

EXTERIOR: in north-west end, central entrance is 4-centred moulded arch on colonnette shafts with annulets and foliate capitals: square-headed doorway with C20 glazed double doors beneath tympanum containing sunk spherical triangle carved in relief with trefoils. Above, 3-light window in 2-centred arch with traceried head, and moulded sillstring on foliate stops. In gable end, blind trefoil enclosed in moulded spherical triangle surround. Lancets flank central door. At each end, original doors in 2-centred arches similar to that of centre door altered to windows, the right one beneath small cusped rose window in moulded surround. Left one occupies ground stage of north tower: on north-east face, ground stage opening is a trefoil-headed 1-light window. Second stage openings on both faces are windows of paired trefoil-headed lights in 2-centred arches with traceried heads, over moulded sillstrings. Tower parapet panelled with shallow traceried mouldings, over moulded eaves string. All openings in tower and north-west end have corbel-stopped hoodmoulds. On north-east side, nave aisle has windows of paired trefoil-headed lights in 2-centred arches with traceried heads, beneath stepped, tripled trefoil-headed lights over moulded sillstring interrupted by buttresses. Eaves course is moulded. Clerestory openings are plain glazed roundels, beneath eaves corbel table. Further east, double gabled front to office and school block: left gable is surmounted by bellcote, the right by wrought-iron gable cross. Entrance in shallow, steeply-gabled porch through 2-centred arch on colonnettes with carved capitals and corbel-stopped hood: square-headed C20 glazed door deeply recessed beneath tympanum carved with sunken circular panel containing central boss in high relief. Porch flanked by paired lancet windows with blind heads relief carved with corbel heads. On first floor, window of 3 trefoil-headed lancets flanked by lancets similar to those on ground floor, all with corbel-stopped hoods. In gable end, cinquefoiled oculus beneath louvred lancet with hood. In second gable front, ground floor window is of 4 grouped trefoil-headed lancets. Above is 4-centred window of 3 cusped lights with cusped quatrefoil tracery, over moulded sillstring on foliate stops. Both have corbel-stopped hoodmoulds. In gable end is a trefoil light in moulded spherical triangle surround.

INTERIOR: noted to contain a cast-iron gallery.

(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 217).
Listing NGR: SE5984951496

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 14 2020 11:38AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.