Building record MYO962 - York and North Midland Railway Company workshops and water tank
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5954 5144 (41m by 41m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Workshops and water tank, now disused. 1839, altered and refitted in late C19. By GT Andrews for the York and North Midland Railway Company; tank manufactured by the Walker Foundry of Walmgate, York. Workshops of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on ashlar plinth; moulded stone cornice; slate roof, hipped at one end, with timber louvre and brick stacks to part; cast-iron water tank.
EXTERIOR: front, originally facing railway line: 1-storey 3-bay building supports water tank; to left, lower 1-storey 5-bay attached workshop. Tank building has segment-arched opening blocked with later brick linked by broad stone impost band to round-arched radial-glazed window with stone sills on each side. Sharply moulded cornice encircles building beneath low parapet. Water tank is of cross-braced panels with central circlets, some formerly enclosing date and manufacturer's plates: one plate inscribed Y&NM survives. At rear, segment-headed doorways with replacement doors, one with overlight, flank inserted windows with timber lintels and brick sills. Workshop front has one blocked doorway and four windows with stone sills, all with segmental arches: rear has original doorway with replacement door, one inserted doorway and three original windows. Moulded cast-iron guttering forms cornice around building. Right return: 4-panel door with overlight and window to left, both with segment-arched heads. Windows have small panes with iron glazing bars and central opening panels.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: during the building of The Old Station and former Station Hotel, Toft Green (qv) for the York and North Midland Railway Company between 1840-41, the Company used a temporary station outside the city walls. This building survives from that station and as such is one of the earliest surviving purpose-built railway structures in the country. A plate recording manufacturer and date was removed c1993.
Listing NGR: SE5951051440
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Note:The York Central audit of heritage assets report mentions that the Water Tower and Coke Store were constructed in 1839 and the Store Houses was constructed in the 1840s. Part of it demolished between 1852 and 1856.
SE 596515. A cast iron water tank, Queen Street sidings, York, was made in 1839 and may therefore be one of the earliest, if not the earliest such tank in existence. Recommended list Gd II. (1)
1 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Indust Mon Survey (Prov Schedule List) March 1974 5
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair, 2013, YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013 (Report). SYO1457.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2020 5:58PM