Source/Archive record SYO217 - St. Georges field car park SEE SYO134
|Title||St. Georges field car park SEE SYO134|
evaluation excavations uncovered well-preserved structural remains and several phases of medieval occupation of the important medieval chapel of St George. Known from historical sources to have been built as the chapel for York Castle during the 12th century, it was granted to the Knights Templar in 1246 and became a royal free chapel following the suppression of the order in 1311. Excavations also found evidence of the 16th century redevelopment of the buildings as a workhouse and later a public house. Additionally, to the west of the chapel an 18th century post-medieval building, possibly a high status residence fronting on to post-medieval Tower Street, was located. This building appeared to have been used for industrial activities in the early 19th century.
Referenced Monuments (0)
Referenced Events (1)
- EYO4 St. Georges field car park Phase 2-3 archaeological evaluation (Ref: 1990/17)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2019 10:35AM