SE6052SW DEAN'S PARK 1112-1/27/880 Purey Cust Lodge, attached walls and 24/06/83 gateways (Formerly Listed as: DEAN'S PARK The Lodge)
Lodge, walls and gateways to the Minster Stoneyard; now entrance and boundary walls to garden of the Purey Cust Chambers (qv). 1845, adopted as garden walls c1916. MATERIALS: lodge of orange-brown and orange-grey brick in various bonds and magnesian limestone ashlar: pent pantile roof has brick stacks. Walls largely of coursed squared magnesian limestone, part to Precentor's Court rendered and incised, part on inside of orange brick in English garden-wall bond: copings are moulded stone or pantile. EXTERIOR: wall is approximately 6 metres high, stepped up to approximately 8.5 metres at rear of Lodge, stepped down to approximately 4.5 metres along Precentor's Court. Wall incorporates three gateways in double chamfered 4-centred arches with coved hoodmoulds, two closed by nail studded boarded gates; third giving access to the hospital is open and flanked by shields of arms of St Peter and the Deanery of York. Lodge entrance is nail studded boarded door in shouldered arch to right of hospital gateway. Further right, windows at two levels are of single or paired square-headed lights with diamond lattice glazing, all in chamfered openings. Garden side: Lodge is of 2 low storeys. Ground floor windows are various, including 1- and 2-light small- and large-pane casements, one 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash and one 2x2-pane Yorkshire sash; on first floor are three 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129).
Listing NGR: SE6022752212