Building record MYO1592 - Lodge, walls and gateways to the Minster Stoneyard
|Grid reference||SE 6022 5221 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
Lodge, walls and gateways to the Minster Stoneyard; now entrance and boundary walls to garden of the Purey Cust Chambers (qv). 1845, adopted as garden walls c1916.
MATERIALS: lodge of orange-brown and orange-grey brick in various bonds and magnesian limestone ashlar: pent pantile roof has brick stacks. Walls largely of coursed squared magnesian limestone, part to Precentor's Court rendered and incised, part on inside of orange brick in English garden-wall bond: copings are moulded stone or pantile.
EXTERIOR: wall is approximately 6 metres high, stepped up to approximately 8.5 metres at rear of Lodge, stepped down to approximately 4.5 metres along Precentor's Court. Wall incorporates three gateways in double chamfered 4-centred arches with coved hoodmoulds, two closed by nail studded boarded gates; third giving access to the hospital is open and flanked by shields of arms of St Peter and the Deanery of York. Lodge entrance is nail studded boarded door in shouldered arch to right of hospital gateway. Further right, windows at two levels are of single or paired square-headed lights with diamond lattice glazing, all in chamfered openings. Garden side: Lodge is of 2 low storeys. Ground floor windows are various, including 1- and 2-light small- and large-pane casements, one 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash and one 2x2-pane Yorkshire sash; on first floor are three 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129). Listing NGR: SE6022752212
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Lodge, to W. of the Minster, designed by Richard Allen, Clerk of Works at the Minster, in 1845 (YML, (B4), 1845 General Repairs Time Sheets, April and May), formed part of the buildings of the Minster Stone Yard (OS 1852) and courses through with the yard's boundary wall, most of which has been retained as a boundary to the Purey-Cust Nursing Home forecourt, which replaces the stoneyard, but the shields-of-arms flanking the four-centred archway from Precentor's Court are late 19th-century. The elevation to Dean's Park is in Gothic style, with rectangular windows and a shoulder-headed entrance door piercing the magnesian limestone wall, which is treated as a stepped boundary wall surmounted by a parapet, and conceals the lean-to pantiled roof behind. The two-storey rear elevation is unpretentious, divided into three sections by chimney-stacks, and lit by Yorkshire sashes. The side and rear elevations are of stone where they might be seen from outside, and of brick below.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129. Monument 153
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060524 THE LODGE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 10 2020 3:18PM