SE6051SE CASTLE MILLS 1112-1/22/128 (South side (off)) Castle Mills Lock
Canal lock chamber. Rebuilt in 1889. Gritstone with some concrete repair. Near the centre of the chamber there are recesses in each side wall, with grooves for stop planks. The double timber gates are a C20 renewal, but C19 cast-iron winding and paddle gear remains. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793, and the canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859 York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour millers, to take steam keels 97' x 18'6" carrying 230 tons. (Paget-Tomlinson EW: The Complete Book of Canal and River Navigations: Wolverhampton: 1978-: 126).
Listing NGR: SE6060551279