Monument record MYO1775 - CASTLE MILLS LOCK

Summary

Canal lock chamber of 1796. Rebuilt in 1889. Gritstone with some concrete repair. Near the centre of the chamber there are recesses in each side wall, with grooves for stop planks. The double timber gates are a C20 renewal, but C19 cast-iron winding and paddle gear remains. The Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793, and the canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859 York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour millers, to take steam keels 97' x 18'6" carrying 230 tons.

Location

Grid reference SE 6060 5127 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Canal lock chamber. Rebuilt in 1889. Gritstone with some concrete repair. Near the centre of the chamber there are recesses in each side wall, with grooves for stop planks. The double timber gates are a C20 renewal, but C19 cast-iron winding and paddle gear remains. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793, and the canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859 York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour millers, to take steam keels 97' x 18'6" carrying 230 tons. (Paget-Tomlinson EW: The Complete Book of Canal and River Navigations: Wolverhampton: 1978-: 126).
Listing NGR: SE6060551279

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Recorded by NRIM. Photos.
National Record of Industrial Monuments
Two sets of index cards in the NMR Archive, arranged by county and by industry. Recorded by J Tanner, Feb-1967, Record No.YO33

Related NMR object:
NRI01 National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM): Index Cards This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.The collection consists of topographically arranged index cards and copies relating to individual monuments and county lists of monuments associated with the National Record of Industrial Monuments (NRIM) between 1963 and 1980. The NRIM was set up by the Council for British Archaeology (CBA) in 1963 and administration was taken over by the University of Bath in 1965. Record cards for individual buildings were completed by interested parties and submitted. Sets of cards were maintained by the CBA, University of Bath (latterly the Industrial Monuments Survey) and the National Monuments Record.In 2012 the collection was updated by Heritage Data and where appropriate monuments were allocated a county designation number.

Related NMR event 1511398:
National Record of Industrial Monuments - The NRIM was a large partnership project between the RCHME, CBA and the University of Bath in the 1960s and 1970s. It utilised volunteers to complete record cards for industrial sites which were photocopied and the originals returned to the originators.

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 30 2020 10:24AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.