Monument record MYO299 - Castle Mills Lock
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6060 5128 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Canal lock chamber. Rebuilt in 1889. Gritstone with some
concrete repair. Near the centre of the chamber there are
recesses in each side wall, with grooves for stop planks. The
double timber gates are a C20 renewal, but C19 cast-iron
winding and paddle gear remains.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793,
and the canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859
York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation
except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation
rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour
millers, to take steam keels 97' x 18'6" carrying 230 tons.
(Paget-Tomlinson EW: The Complete Book of Canal and River
Navigations: Wolverhampton: 1978-: 126
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2014 12:46PM