SE6052SE ALDWARK 1112-1/14/20 (North East side) 19/08/71 Wall, gate and gate piers approx 7m north-east of Nos.40-42 (not included) (Formerly Listed as: ALDWARK Gateway and wall to No.27 approx 27 yds to SE of Nos.17 & 19)
Formerly known as: Gateway and wall on east side of street ALDWARK. Wall, gateway and 3 gate piers. c1693. Wall of red-black brick in stretcher bond, stone plinth and stone coping; gateway and gate piers of chamfered rusticated stone. Wall approximately 25 metres long and 2.6 metres high has flat coping. Round-arched gateway of chamfered quoins and radiating voussoirs beneath moulded open pediment, between plain brick pilaster piers. Gate is C20 replacement. Outer gates bricked up between square section piers approximately 3.3 metres high with defaced cornices and caps. Structures are the sole remains of Saltmarsh House, built 1693, demolished between 1828 and 1851. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 106-107).
Listing NGR: SE6064552062