Building record MYO1884 - Boundary wall, gateway and three piers of Saltmarsh House, Aldwark
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6064 5205 (21m by 22m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: Gateway and wall on east side of street ALDWARK. Wall, gateway and 3 gate piers. c1693. Wall of red-black brick in stretcher bond, stone plinth and stone coping; gateway and gate piers of chamfered rusticated stone. Wall approximately 25 metres long and 2.6 metres high has flat coping. Round-arched gateway of chamfered quoins and radiating voussoirs beneath moulded open pediment, between plain brick pilaster piers. Gate is C20 replacement. Outer gates bricked up between square section piers approximately 3.3 metres high with defaced cornices and caps. Structures are the sole remains of Saltmarsh House, built 1693, demolished between 1828 and 1851.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 106-107). Listing NGR: SE6064552062
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Gate-piers and boundary wall remain of Saltmarsh House, now demolished. The 'handsome house', built in 1693, was in the possession of Philip Saltmarsh in 1736 (Drake, 316) and remained in the hands of the same family until advertised for sale in 1828. The entire property, divided into two lots, was offered for sale by auction in 1836 (YG, 26 July, 2 Sept. 1828; 2 July, 27 July 1836). The house, together with stables and coach-house, occupied by Francis Maw, may have survived until 1848, when Mrs. Maw occupied property with the highest rateable value in the street (YCA, Rate Book YL/RB/ACC. 7, 32–40). By 1851 the house had been demolished (OS map) and Aldwark House had been built on part of its garden, staked out as Lot 2 in 1836. The surviving length of wall, probably of c. 1693, is of brick with stone dressings. A pedimented round-arched opening of rusticated masonry, flanked by plain brick pilaster strips, is situated between two carriage openings, both of which had rusticated stone piers. The left-hand pier of the left-hand opening has been rebuilt in brick; the right-hand opening and the archway have been bricked up. The brick wall has a stone plinth and a stone capping.
Monument 62; (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 106-107
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060352 SALTMARSH HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2020 3:49PM