SE5951NE TOFT GREEN 1112-1/15/1131 (North West side) 20/12/74 Old Station and former Station Hotel (Formerly Listed as: TOFT GREEN York Old Station and former Station Hotel)
Formerly known as: York Old Station TOFT GREEN. Railway station and hotel; now offices. Station of 1840-41, with alterations and extensions of 1845 and 1850s; hotel of 1852-53. Train shed largely demolished 1965-66. Architect GT Andrews of the York and North Midland Railway Company; Engineer T Cabray of the Great North of England Railway Company; Ironfounder Edwin Thompson of the Pheonix Foundry, Walmgate, York. Double train shed terminal station, flanked by departure and arrival buildings; hotel added across railhead. MATERIALS: departure building to south-east: sandstone ashlar and gault brick in Flemish bond; ashlar colonnades, dressings and moulded cornices; hipped roofs of Welsh slate, and brick stacks, either truncated or demolished. Rear of gault brick in Flemish bond, now painted, with gauged brick arches. Arrival building to north-west: red brick in English bond with orange-red gauged brick dressings, on ashlar basement; ashlar bands and moulded cornice; brick stacks to Welsh slate hipped roof. Former hotel to north-east: gault brick in English garden-wall bond, with ashlar doorcase, quoins, bands and cornices; brick stacks to Welsh slate roofs. Train shed of cast-iron and glass. EXTERIOR: DEPARTURE BUILDING front: 3-storey 5-bay centre block, flanked by lower 3-storey 6-bay blocks with projecting end bays; to left, 2-storey 3-bay block; to right, 3-storey 5-bay block. Hotel return wall set back at right end. Rusticated ground floor of centre block has recessed 20-pane sash windows with radial-glazed heads beneath round arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts. Round-headed sashes on first floor recessed beneath arcaded hoodmoulds on moulded impost band; on second floor, windows are segment-headed in eared and shouldered architraves. Both floors have moulded sill bands, and first floor has prominent cornice on brackets. Giant pilasters at outer angles and flanking central window rise through moulded first floor cornice to eaves cornice. Ground floors of flanking blocks have 5-bay Tuscan colonnades with entablatures, and rusticated end bays. Windows behind colonnades are 12-pane sashes. End bays have round-headed openings recessed beneath arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts; in left block, radial-glazed window altered to door. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes; those on second floor, unequal 9-pane sashes. All windows are in
architraves, over moulded sill bands on ground and first floors, that on first floor continued from centre block; moulded band at second floor level, and moulded eaves cornice. End blocks have round-headed ground floor sashes, originally radial-glazed, recessed beneath round arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes in architraves over moulded sill band continued from adjacent block. Moulded eaves cornice formed by second floor band continued from adjacent block. Right block has third floor with unequal 9-pane sashes over moulded band continued from adjacent block, and moulded cornice. ARRIVAL BUILDING front: basement and 2 storeys; 7 bays: hotel return wall to left. Basement windows with grilles and screens largely covered. Window towards left end of ground floor altered to panelled double doors, retaining upper sash and radial-glazed fanlight. Other windows are round-arched sashes, some with paired glazing bars, some with radial-glazed heads, over panelled aprons and beneath arches of gauged brick with moulded impost band. On first floor, windows are 4-pane sashes with ashlar sills on blocks and cambered arches. Raised first floor band. HOTEL front: basement and 3 storeys, centre block with attic; 9-window centre block flanked by 3-window wings, curved at corners. Centre block has raised and chamfered angle quoins. All basement windows, now mostly blocked, in plinth stepped-up over windowheads to form lintels. In centre block, Doric doorcase in antis has recessed double doors of fielded panels and fanlight in keyed round-arched architrave, approached by steps. Windows throughout are 12-pane sashes on ground, first and second floors, beneath cambered arches of gauged brick on ground and first floors: second floor windows are squat without arches. Centre block has 6-pane attic sashes beneath cambered arches, above moulded frieze and prominent cornice on console brackets. Ground and second floor windows have moulded sill bands; first floor windows have plain sill band. All parts have moulded eaves cornices, and all windows have very thin glazing bars. Left return: 3 storeys 3 bays. Detailing largely repeats that of main front, with square bay with sashes and radial-glazed window on ground floor, and one first floor window blind, one enlarged to 15 panes. Right return: 3 storeys 7 bays. Main front detailing repeated, with part glazed and panelled door and divided overlight, and one blind window on first floor. TRAIN SHED: low brick platforms on both sides survive virtually intact. Platform sides of departure and arrival buildings also survive virtually unaltered. An area of train shed roof survives at rear of former hotel building, between the arrival and departure buildings. INTERIORS: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 242-44; City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 53-55).
Listing NGR: SE5985051741